The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My intention yesterday was to come and post a foaling thread for my saddle mares that are due this week. Instead we woke to a mare in distress and a malpositioned baby. We lost the foal - a beautiful filly that was a perfect match to last years colt. The mare seems to be doing better today. I did milk her out and froze/banked the colostrum in the event anyone in the area losses a mare but baby survives and to promote delivery of the placenta as well as help shrink the uterus back to size. The other mare is still waiting and I am dreading going out and doing checks for fear of what I'll find. My head knows that the odds are in my favor and all should go well but my heart is hurting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. We had something just like that happen. We had bred a mare (a paint mare) to our Frisian stallion. She was preg checked and shown to be pregnant. We checked again half way and she was still pregnant. Then when she was due in a few months she was not getting any bigger. We thought ok she is a madian mare maybe things are going slow. So a month before she was about to foal we had her checked again and nothing. She was no longer pregnant. There was no reason for her to abort the foal. Even now after half a winner and spring and going into summer she has not shown any sighs of coming back in heat. I hope once your mare recovers you can breed her again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So Sorry! I totally understand what you are going through!!:cry:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
so many Mares and Foals this year :( very strange...
I am so sorry for your loss and hope all goes well with the other Mare.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
So sorry to hear your loss.
The hardest part for me is never knowing what an awesome animal the foal could have been. Maybe sweet and docile or sassy and temperamental? Maybe she would have been flawless and easy under saddle or a fiery high performing athlete...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Sorry to read this, but glad you didn't lose your mare as well. This hasn't been a great year for a lot of people. I hope all goes smoothly for the other mare who's still waiting to foal.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear. :(. Glad your mare survived.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss:-( There seems to be more than usual babies lost this year:? Something you know can happen & fear it never does:-(.

·
Super Moderator
12,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blessings all and thank you for your kind words. We're still waiting for mare number two to have her baby. I wish I could get past the feeling that something else will go wrong. It is hard to walk out to the pasture without knowing what I'll find.

·
Super Moderator
12,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Our other mare delivered a colt early this morning. I posted pics in the Foals of 2013 thread. Thanks again for the kindnesses.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of a little filly. I am glad your mare is recovering and you have a healthy mom and colt to hopefully help take your mind off things. Very good thinking to save the colostrum though- that might save another foal's life sometime this year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss :-( We lost our foal last year 3 hours after she was born. Keep her in your heart and good luck with your other mare! It will all turn out good :)

·
Super Moderator
12,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tears are rolling down my face as I come here to post. We had to put our much loved stallion down this morning. This has been a year of loss, my husband's grandfather, two young cousins, my aunt, as well as my son's much beloved golden, two new hatch clutches and now two horses in a two week time. Granted we did not have the time we wish we could have had with the baby but this stallion we raised from a baby. Last year my heart horse passed with brain cancer. I don't know how much more I can withstand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.