The Horse Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Is Negra and your boyfriends horse on the same senior?

I know I've asked but I can't remember, will she eat beet pulp? I know the current BO wouldn't feed it, but would the BO where you are moving to? BP could be just what she needs, especially if you get molasses free. It would give her forage and help put on good weight and wouldn't have the excess sugars that processed feeds would. BP has a NSC level of 4 or 5% if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
they are all curently on the same feed. well that was untill my fiance grabbed alfalfa pellets so i had to go and get bermuda. he also grabed the non dry senior as well. she was getting like 2-3lbs of safe choice dry senior with her 20lbs of pellets. she is now getting 15lbs of pellets. i cant really work her so to prevent her from getting fat i do have to cut back on her feed.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
weight for her currently is not an issue. its nutrition im worried about. here is what she is starting to look like. her neck is THICKER than the pics but her body is not reflecting the thickness in her neck. her body says "i could use a cuple more lbs" and her neck is saying "lol im a draft". my vet noticed it but we where to focused on her feet and my wallet was ok with that. you can kinda see it in the last pic. i think people have been givein her treats. normaly i would not care. i mean rocket gets like 4-5 carrots a day at this point. but if she is IR that is not a good thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
She isn't cresty looking to me. Maybe cut back a little since you haven't been riding her. Maybe you could get away with more pellets and a ration balancer.

I'm just more inclined to think it's just a little changing of her figure with age and lack of use. Kind of the same thing I'm suffering from personally.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
its really hard to see in pics but when you are looking at her in person its really noticable. she did not have a neck like that two years ago. and yes she is not ridable at all and my never be again. she is also not getting worked on the ground because she is still lame and i dont want to make it worst. soo she is just sitting at the moment.

you can see how her neck used to look. and why the sudden change is conserning.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
It's not cresty from food. I think you are seeing muscle tension. She looks better in the older pictures, less uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Yeah, and really it seems to be her hindquarter that look 'thin' but it could be lack of muscle tone being she's out of work.

Of course photo's can hide a million and one problems that are very apparent in person. But over all she's not bad.

I do agree with SueNH, and if I remember correctly the crest issues kind of started just before she became obviously gimpy right?

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
yeah did not even put the two togeather. she was alot better today so i might be able to start getting her conditioned a bit. that being said once she is on pasture i think my need to supliment will go down considerably. the pics where when she was getting two large flakes of bermuda a day. so i think that (or less) with fresh pasture should be more than enough for her. now the pony and rocket wont get that luxury so i will still need to supliment them.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
well i might get some beat pulp or pellets for Negra when i move her to my friends place since she needs medication. so that is fine.

senior seems to be doing good for these two. ill look into another brand someone sugested to me called Progressive Growth. these are the 3 i need to keep weight on. first is rocket a 30 year old tb. Next is Naughty a 25 year old navajo pony. and the last is Odie a 8 year old paint who has always been hard to keep weight on.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts