The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
For some backstory... over the last two years, I have had ankle pain when riding on and off, however over the last five months or so the pain is consistent whenever I am riding for more than twenty minutes :( After a while of testing and trying different techniques, stirrups and stirrup leathers, including Royal Rider Orginal Stirrups, that have a wider tread, I have found that the Reflex Soft Compositi stirrups completely get rid of all pain. I rode in them for over an hour and it was one of my best rides ever! However, I am a bit of a nervous nelly with a sassy pony and would feel way more comfortable in safety stirrups in case of an emergency.

To summarize: A pair of safety stirrups that alleviate ankle pain similar to Reflex Soft Compositi. I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to stretch my wallet a little to get back to riding comfortably :)

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Going off of a quick google search for stirrups that are composite, like the Compositi stirrups, but are also feature safety features like traditional safety stirrups, are the Acavallo stirrups. The Acavallo stirrups come with a bigger price tag at $130, but are by far the most economical option I am seeing.

In Compositi stirrup reviews I saw, the Acavallo stirrups were recommended as a similar stirrup, but with that safety feature built-in. Because these stirrups are for your safety and comfort, I don't gawk at the price tag. I would class stirrups in the same category of helmets, protective vests, etc...

Also, turns out the word 'stirrups' doesn't look much like a word after typing it so many times :lol:

Edit: I forgot to mention - if your stirrup leathers don't come easily out of the stirrup bar, I recommend removing and putting your stirrup leathers back in until they start to come out more easily. The stirrup bar is a built-in safety feature of your saddle in case you ever get hung up in the stirrups. For a while I would put my stirrups on before every ride, and take them off afterwards.

Reactions: Interstellar

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
I'm a western rider so I really can't help except to say that the right stirrups make all the difference in comfort. If you ever find the right ones, get them and don't look back.

I've gotten very picky on what kind of western stirrups I use. I now only use a 4" tread and 5 inches wide and I don't have the outside of my foot going numb anymore. It's kind of crazy, but stirrups make a big difference. :smile:

·
Registered
658 Posts
maybe see if the distance depot carries those stirrups and see if they could make you a set of cages for them?

my wife and I both like our easycare stirrups, i just ride in a cowboy boot so go without cages she rides in her hiking boots with cages from distance depot still not a break-away safety stirrup but pretty big opening to get out of if things go sideways

1 - 5 of 5 Posts