The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I just got this mare from a local sale. I really have no info on her other than she's 12 years old and her owner got health problems. She's currently in a large pasture and I can't tell if she has a grass belly or if she's in foal? I have a vet coming out next Friday, but curious what you guys might think? I thought she was in heat.... She had " winking" after urinating.... Frequent urination as well. She is wide just in front of her flanks... And feels quite tight in her belly there as well. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I also lean towards just carrying some extra weight. She looks like a nice, quiet mare - I hope she works out for you.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Probably just overweight... However it's hard to tell in early pregnancy. One of my mares looked pregnant when I bought her. I put a tape around her belly and it was the same measurement as my non- pregnant mare. She just has a round barrel and is on the chunky side.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
a mare will wink after urinating. A mare in heat will squirt and wink at another horse. Urination and the heat indicator are different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to know .. Thank you. I have only had 2 mares and both I was Under 12 years old! She's very wide in front of her flanks but the belly isn't low. I have only owned warmbloods and sport horses so this is a totally different body type than I'm used to. I appreciate the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts