The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recentley rescued a 3 year old gypsy cob, she has sarcoids amongst her other problems iv been using forever living aloe vera gelly for the last 8 weeks with some success, after reading online about toothpaste and mouthwash I thought id give it a try, Tilly's sarcoids are not really bad just so we are clear a golfball sized sarcoid is not going come off of her her biggest one is probably as big as your little finger but she has alot of the flat sarcoids, so im going to start tomorrow and I will take some pics of her sarcoids before iv done anything, and then I will update every week, it would be a great inexpensive way for her to be treated and I just thought maybe you guys might like to hear and see what happens
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are all dry and scabby, the one on her ear sometimes bleeds but I think that due to rubbing, so I started with the mouthwash and toothpaste today and she decides to eat it off her self so a whole tube has gone on today lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
xxterra (sp?) works wonders on small sarcoids

·
Administrator
35,832 Posts
There have been Veterinary articles in various places written about using toothpaste on sarcoids warning owners not to try it
Its not a cure, will not work and may even worsen the condition
The truth is that sarcoids can disappear on their own and many are warts and not actually sarcoids at all so when people using toothpaste see them go they assume its worked.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I think the problem is that sarcoids can drop off on their own (I think) and this could coincide with an application of something like toothpaste so the owner is bound to think that it works. However, I also don't think vets know everything so I like to keep an open mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read loads of pages first before I decided to try it, I think the vets would say that especially when your buying their liverpool cream at £2000 and then paying the vet to come out and put it on my vet is very good and I okayed it with her first she said it would be very unlikely that Tilly would have a reaction and to at least try it shes the one that recommended the aloe vera gelly, I think vets these days are just interested in the money, but yes I have cleared it with my vet and she said the worst thing that could happen is that it doesnt work, thanks for your concern though x
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A big chunk of the sarcoid on her ear has fallen off today, still cant work out how to add pictures to show you proof
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
35,832 Posts
This is when you need to be careful because some sarcoids when disturbed will grow back even more aggressively

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
As you are in the UK, feed NAF D-tox. Give it a double dose to the recommended. It will take a little while but it will get rid of them.
I have used it on several horses and it has never failed. Last horse had a tennis ball sized sarcoidosis on his sheath and several on the inside of his lips, they all went away within about 4 months.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Be VERY careful! My old grey gelding had multiple sarcoids-some occult, some fibroblastic. Biggest was the size of a grapefruit. We treated him with Xxterra, wheatgrass juice, cryosurgery, et cetra, et cetra, et cetra. Even an experimental therapy at a university vet hospital where they took some of his own sarcoid cells and re injected them to build immunity.
He seemed to be recovering 3 years into it, then one day he had neurological issues and had to be put down. The necropsy revealed the sarcoids had gone internal from all the treatments and one was on his spinal cord, interreupting normal function. He was a RARE case, so please don't think this will happen to you. Just please be careful and leave them be if they are not actively growing like Hank's were. RIP sweet boy :(

·
Administrator
35,832 Posts
I have had success removing wart like sarcoids with many different things from iodine to glacial acetic acid but they were already crusting or open and sore - and I have even known vets to not be sure if they are just warts or if they are sarcoids as they can look similar so often what people have actually had success removing are warts - without a biopsy its hard to tell
The ones to leave well alone are the smooth rounded type as they are most likely to become out of control
There is nothing in toothpaste that will kill cancer cells and mouthwash is just an antiseptic that will help prevent infection - but nothing more.
This is a link that explains the difference between the warts and sarcoids
and some pics here of 2 types of sarcoid and one of warts - warts are in the pic on the far right
EQUINE SKIN TUMORS, WARTS AND SARCOIDS

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.