The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have heard that toothpaste is a cure (not scientifically proven) for sarcoids. There is not much evidence of this, as not many people have tried and documented it. I have decided that, being as my horse has many sarcoids (all currently benign) and scaley patches, that I would do the experiment, with Indi's help of course.

Originally, people have tried Crest brand toothpaste, however, it's no longer around in England. I have heard that it is the Fluoride in the toothpaste that eliminates (possibly anyway) the sarcoid. I'm a dental nurse, so I have access to toothpaste fairly readily, so I decided to buy the toothpaste with the highest fluoride available, without a prescription. So, I bought Duraphat 2800. I also bought Duraphat Rinse (mouth wash). These products have the highest fluoride content available without a script (to my knowledge), and the toothpaste cost around £5, the rinse around £3.70.

I intend to first spray on the rinse (watered down to make it last longer) to the sarcoids (including the scaley patches), then topically apply the toothpaste to them. Here are the before pictures (they are white where I have been applying an antiseptic over a few days just to keep them clean in the mean time) I've also included a "diagram" (don't laugh at my ridiculous drawings, I'm no artist!) of where they are located.

Diagrams. (Key: O = Sarcoid; # = Scaley Patch) and Pictures:
*(By the way, sorry for rambling, I just want to be thorough. If you're interested, please subscribe, I'll try to update often, and any questions, please ask)

Diagram 1 - Indi's left side
Picture 1 - Above her right Eye
Pic 2 - right side neck
Pic 3 - under chin (blurred, sorry)
Diagram 2 - Indi's right side
Pic 4 - Inner right thigh
Pic 5 - Left side neck
Pic 6 - Next to lip, left side

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I am not an expert on sarcoids. I'm just looking for a cure of the pesky growths without resorting to surgery Etc, as being as they're benign, there's no need for surgery. I just don't want them there, as I'm scared they'll spread, also, even though the biggest one, on her thigh, doesn't seem to bother her, it bothers me, because that's a tender place, poor girl :/

Also, I am NOT claiming that this will definitely work. Even if it does work with Indi, I'm not saying it'll work on your horse. I'm just interested to see if it will work.

I applied the rinse and paste for the first time today, I'll keep you posted.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Interesting experiment. Good job with the drawings and photos. Look forward to your further documentation.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Alwaysbehind, like I said, I'm no artist, but atleast it gives the general impression of where they are hehe

Todays Sarcoid Update: I went down this evening to give Indi her feed and put on today's applications. The smaller, flatter sarcoids are already getting dry and are flaking off, leaving smoother skin underneath. Especially the one above her right eye (pic 1 on original post) I didn't take my camera (because I didn't respect results this fast!) but plenty flaked off the one above her eye, which was really 'bobbly' (such scientific phrases haha) and after peeling, was much smoother. Not 100% yet, but hey, it's only been on 1 day!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely will! I'm excited about this experiment, and so keen to be rid of these pesky growths, that I won't be giving up! I won't be able to apply it this Saturday, Sunday and Monday as I'm away (getting family to look after them, but just feed an water, but she'll survive without some applications) Just thought I'd let everyone know, I know it's not ideal for the experiment, but I'm hoping 3 days won't hurt too much, and it I don't go away often, so shouldn't happen on may occasions (touch wood).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tonight's Update: Looking even better still. The round one, on her lip (pic six in original post) is scabbing off nicely, it's gone crusty and detached around the outside, and is only holding on by a little bit of flesh in the middle (I've made sure to get plenty into the skin in the middle that holding it on, hopefully it won't be too long before it's off!) And there's a flatish sarcoid on her left cheek (no pic sorry, but marked on diagram 1) that is the same, just holding on by a little bit of skin!

The scaley patches are scaling right off, and every application of toothpaste also ex-foliates the debris. I'll try and get some more pics if I can remember, as everything's looking a lot better already!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
There was a thread I started on the same issue. Could you post pics as you progress, please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think this is great. one of my quarter horses had one on his back leg (around the fetlock area). We managed to get rid of this several years ago by using a paste that our vet got made up at a pharmacy and some human suppliment tablets. However we also now have 3yr old, that has ended up with one in nearly the same place, however the same treatment has not worked. And over the last 12 months we have spent thousands on treatments. I'm am willing to try just about anything, and I certainly perked up on seeing your experiment. Good luck, I will certainly be subscribing.

Thanks for giving some hope :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello there, I'm back from my holiday, and the sarcoids continued getting smaller/dryer while I was away, which is such a relief!
Today's Update: The round one on her lip is getting really dry and flakey. The flat ones she has on her neck and shoulders and also the scaley patches are getting really dry, and a lot is flaking right off at the touch (well, a slight rub, but nothing to cause discomfort, just like how you'd rub your face when exfoliating it, or something like that) The small 2 on her right hind thigh are very small and scabby now, I think they're nearly ready to drop IMO. And finally, the one right in the centre of her belly, well, a good half flaked off today, and I think the other half is pretty ready for it too. I promise I will try to remember to take my camera!! I'm such a sift-head!!

By the way, I just want to say thank you to everyone for your interest. I know it's not as exciting to everyone as it is to me (but I'm just ecstatic that it's working!!) and sorry I ramble so much, but again, a big Thank You for all your interest and comments, they're much appreciated! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
WOW !!... this IS interesting...

My mare has a sarcoid and in the South West, we use what is called " Indian Mud " and pretty much eat's away the growth right down to the core... but, it is pretty hard to get a hold of.... I'm treating my mare now. I'm really into this post, as the " Indian Mud" is pretty expensive stuff, althought, they do not grow back in the same place... who would have thunk " tooth paste" is another cure ??? ... I KNOW freezing them off will do the trick, but they do come back in the same place... Glad for this Thread !
Best of Luck !!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you! Yeah, I wrote down a whole list of treatments (including "just leave them alone" although I wasn't 100% with that Idea) But many I'd gotten from sites in the USA, and when I looked over here, they either didn't have them, or were ridicules amounts of money! So, when toothpaste caught my eye I thought "What luck! I have access to lots of different toothpaste!" and being as apparently it's the Fluoride in the toothpaste that makes the sarcoid wither, I thought I'd get the one with the highest Fluoride content in it (that I could buy over the counter anyway). And so far, the effects are very good, and already visible!

·
Registered
916 Posts
How incredibly interesting! My mare has a few sarcoids. Maybe I will consult my dentist tomorrow for a high-fluoride toothpaste! Nothing to lose in trying. Thanks for sharing this experiment with us!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great news, you might have just come across a really cheap alternative. It will be interesting to see how long they stay away for and if it works for any other horse.

Fingers crossed! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.