The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to suggest this for two reasons: 1) because I have experienced this on another forum and found it was useful, and 2) because the view to post count is rather disappointing on this forum (probably around a 15 view to 1 post ratio)

It is difficult to explain in text, so here is a random thread as an example: What Good Are Emotions? - PersonalityCafe

As you can see, if someone viewing the thread agrees with another person's post or otherwise finds it very useful, they press a thank button on the bottom right corner of the post. The users that thanked the post are then listed at the bottom of that post, and the number of 'thanks' a poster gets is recorded on their avatar information. I find this would be a good addition because posts with more thanks are typically ones that are better or interesting, and the OP of the thread might hold more value to a post that has 10 thanks vs one that has none. The second reason would to get some more opinion on the thread for those who are stingy about posting. We have so little posts compared to views, and it would keep the thread more interesting to allow people to click a button to recommend a post by thanking it. That way, more views are somewhat represented for those that do not wish to/do not have time to post, or those who cannot easily express themselves or simply their thoughts are the same as an earlier post and thus there is no use to post the same thing twice. Please consider it if you can.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I used to be on a forum that had a "thank post" option and while the idea was awesome, it did not work on that forum in the least.
The "popular" people would get thanked for random stuff that really wasn't helpful by people who were basically suck ups, and newbies never seemed to get thanked for anything even when they were actually helpful.

That forum also had a "no thanks" button which was totally not a good idea. Someone would post something mildly debate-like and people would just jump on it and say "no thanks", which in turn would make the poster's forum reputation thingy go way down, even if the poster was asking a real question and not trying to debate.

However, this forum is much more mature than that forum ever was, so maybe we could handle it.

But it was a GREAT feeling to have one of your posts thanked. I only ever had a few since I was always pretty much a newbie there, I never got over about 500 posts, but I was so proud of myself when I did get thanked. Haha

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
Anything that even mildly relates to a members "reputation" smacks of HGS and the problems they have in policing it.

As Wallaby stated it ends up being a "popularity" contest.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Although I see the ups and downs of this, I think it could work on this forum. I was only actually thinking of this the other day. HF is a pretty tight knit friendly forum, so it does have the potential to work.

Perhaps you could only have like 1 thank per thread and a max of 5 to 10 thanks a day, therefore it couldn't be abused.

The more thanks a person has also increases their credibility on the forum and promotes them as helpful, knowlegable and trustworthy.

However, I do see the potential for this to be abused. If this was to take place, it'd have to be monitored closely or else we'll end up like a few other forums who have troubles like this.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I guess no one has seen or used the "rate thread" drop down at the top of the thread.

If you like the thread, even if you don't post to it, you can rate it anywhere from Terrible to Excellent. That should serve the purpose of pointing out a thread that is between...... well ..... terrible and excellent!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I agree with Wallaby and Spyder. I don't believe it would work out fairly at all.

I've also seen "karma" on some boards and I wasn't too crazy about that either because the mods would purposely give themselves loads of karma to make themselves appear like they'd had a bunch of people worship them.

I don't want this forum to become a popularity contest.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree, don't want to make the forum about popularity. Some of our wiser and more experienced and well just plain opinionated posters often decide to play devils advocate or have an unpopular opinion with younger members, IMO It would not be fair, because I see them getting a lot of dislikes or very few likes and their posts, where valuable, could be passed by because they are less "popular". I did a terrible job of explaining thet but it is the best I can do....

I think it drags down the maturity level and integrity of the forum.

I vote no.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts