The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the next horse show, I have to canter in a group. I'm scared because I'm not really good at steering at the canter and I'm afraid I might accidently go over a jump. If anybody has any tips, I would appreciate it

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I don't know much about cantering in a ring or anything but I do know that cantering in a group is one of the best things you can do. It's a blast. Just try to avoid the jumps and you'll be good. My guess is the group won't be that big and you'll be able to figure out a game plan once you see the ring itself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My instructor always says the horse will go where you look, so don't look at the jumps.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Can you practice at home? Have a couple of friends ride with you in an arena with jumps set up, just like at this show. Focus on your horse and put on your imaginary blinders, haha. Have you mentioned to your instructor that you're nervous? Ask her if she has any tips or can help you work on your steering.

Reactions: KarmaLove

·
Registered
49,767 Posts
I have to agree that if you are worried about maintaining something so basic as steering when tha group canters , you may be endangering not only yourself but the others in the arena . Who said you have to canter? If you don't feel ready, can't you just do a w/t class?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.