The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, maybe I am being a bit melodramatic. But it is something else for sure.

Long story made short, I brought in a stray cat that was hanging around my house a few months ago. He's a gorgeous Maine **** neutered male cat. Beautiful cat, but I believe he is Freddy Krueger.

He was laying on my chest, purring his *** off. I went to get up so I moved him and he came at my face with both claws. He got me so hard that he actually ripped off two of his claws on my face. I had to pull one out of me.

Now, I don't have any picture from when it happened, but I do have the aftermath all patched up. I am taking the bandages off tomorrow, to see what the damage is. I have been putting Neosporane on it cause I don't want any scarring.

I will post pics tomorrow after I take the bandages off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
When you pull the bandages off, if it looks red and puffy around them, PLEASE go to the dr. My boss's son got attacked by a friends cat last year. The cat only got him on the arm, but he ended up in the hospital for 3 days with some type of infection. So, if it's red and puffy, don't waste any time!

Hope you feel better soon, and Keep us posted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Well, he's gotten me before on my nose and my arm and nothing has happened.

I saved his life, especially with the winter we are having here.

Thanks Charlicata! I will!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a cat that was like that. He has mellowed in his old age lol. But it was basically the same situation as you. There was a cat hanging around my house so we started feeding him. He loves attention but one day when my sister was petting him, he went from happy and purring to turning around and biting her a second later. That's actually how we ended up keeping him. We had to keep him in a cage for 10 days to make sure he didn't have rabies and after that he just became ours. Anyway you always had to watch him because one second he'd be perfectly happy and the next he'd get tired of you and would scratch and/or bite you.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's so odd though, because he is partically attached to my hip. He follows me around the house, and will go whereever I go. But then he does this crap to me.

I have a new strategy though. I am only going to pet him for a few seconds and then ignore him after that. If he hisses at me or balks, or tries to bite or scratch, I'm going to do a very loud noise and then ignore him. Hopefully, he will learn that he can't scratch me anymore. He hates being ignored, too.

I am NOT going to allow him to get on my chest anymore when I am laying down. That is a no-no!

I hope he changes from Freddy Krueger to Whinnie the Pooh.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Amba, what part of MD are you from? I'm always excited to meet people from my neck of the woods!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah that's exactly how my cat is. I think they just love people but they are cats so when they've had enough they will let you know even if it's in a not so nice way lol. Good luck with training him. We never tried that with my cat. We just tried to get in tune to his mood swings so we could tell when he was going to snap.

I'm in PG County. I've stopped getting exceited when I see other Marylanders on here because they always end up being really far away lol.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sighs! Yeah I hear ya Amba!

Sucks huh?!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Haha, thats EXACTLY how our maine **** is. she's only like 4 or 5 months old, and she has such an attitude! She's much better if she "likes" you, and she likes everyone in the house except my mother and the dogs.....well she kind of likes the dogs. They're fun to jump on from the furniture. But she used to be so witchy to me....and then one day I woke up at 5 am to her rubbing all over my face and talking to me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be careful with the dogs. We had another Maine **** in the past. He was a love bug, for sure. But one day, our Husky jumped on him to play and Baby didn't like that. So, Baby held onto that until a few months later, when our Husky was walking to go outside to go bathroom, Baby swipped at him and got him in the butt.

He got him so bad, that we had to take him to the vet for an emergency and get his butt sewed back up. The freaking cat nicked an artery. The vet said that if we didn't bring him in when we did, he would have bled out.

Freaking Maine *****! This is the cat that also set his tail on fire and didn't even notice.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Cats are mental. Our Samcat loved to batter me and the dog, the dog is a Staffie x Ridgeback and is pure muscle but just took the beatings Sam doled out. The ****** once went into tiger mode and punctured my leg with his tooth and it hurt like hell. I had to go on antibiotics because it went infected. I'm sure they still think they're tigers even though you could squish them by sitting down.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE:

Ok, so I won't be scarred for life! It isn't as bad as it looked yesterday. They have already started to heal up very nicely. Yaaaay for Neosporeran!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
HI oh my gosh I would get rid of the cat straight away its way to dangerous by the looks of it he only just missed taking your eye out I wouldnt wait until he does! this could be more serious than you think

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, cats are mental Lis. Thanks for your concern Maire. I don't know, I just can't get rid of him. He really is a nice cat, he just has some issues. He can be such a love bug. He sat on my lap for like 2 hours yesterday, while I was playing on the computer, purring his little butt off. He was a stray and I found him on my doorstep, all skin and bones. I nursed him back to health and I'm attached now. I just can't get rid of an animal like that, I feel like they deserve a fair shot, you know. I had a feeling that he's been abused and just doesn't know better. I have a savior complex. Gotta save all of the animals that cross my path. All of my animals (past and present) have been from shelters or strays that crossed my path.

I will tell you one thing through Marie, he isn't going to be laying on my chest anymore!:shock:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm glad it's healing nicely! Just keep the Neosporin on it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Charlicata!!!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Sighs! Yeah I hear ya Amba!

Sucks huh?!
Yeah it does. I have no horsey friends near me :( lol. What part of Baltimore are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

The scratches don't look too bad. Most of the cat related scars I have are actually from when I'm holding one of my cats and they decide they want to get down so they dig their nails in. It seems they do more damage whe they aren't actually trying to hurt you lol.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Cat scratches aren't as bad. If you get bit be VERY careful about infection. I ended up in the ER because of my gentle, sweet 13 year old fat lazy cat. Their mouths are DISGUSTING...not at all clean like dog mouths. I had a pin ***** sized hole in my hand...and soon it was swelling all the way up my arm. This infection can cause permanent damage...in my case I caught it on time and I'm fine....but thought this warning was appropriate. Just in case anybody else, like me, didn't realize how dirty their mouths really are. I'm used to dogs :p

·
Registered
562 Posts
if you notice a red line around the wounds or going up/down/across your face, you should do to the ER because that means infection. i work at a cat shelter and thats very common

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I think you know why he is a stray. If a cat had done that to my kid I would shoot the cat. Now I know you aren't going to do that but you should at least make the crazy ****** live outside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.