The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This picture is from a schooling show in July. It was really, really laid back, so they let everyone school in the ring before the classes. There was this 18" brush box that Shadow was convinced was going to eat her. After 5 minutes of looking and spooking at it, she finally trotted over it. This is the picture my mom got ...

DSCN1174.jpg

You can see the edge of the brush box. There was no rail on top either. We didn't know she could jump so high! Hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thats a neat picture.

My friend has a horse named Moon Shadow. Only shadow is a gelding. What breed is your horse? Her horse is a thoroughbred.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Aww haha Shadow! She's adorable :)
She's trying to show her scope to prove that she really can jump 2'6"+ stuff!

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
So, whenever you walk a jump course, either XC or showjumping, you need to stop looking at the jumps as a human. You must try to see things the way a horse instinctively sees them.

That brush box is something many horses will look twice at. Why? Because horses know that dangerous critters live in brush. They will instinctively worry about any jump that has brush in it.

There are many examples of jumps that purposely incorporate known "******s" in them as an effort to cause refusals. If riders don't learn to see jumps AS HORSES SEE THEM, they will fail to recognize these traps and rack up the penalties.

When I walk XC courses with students, much of out discussion is not what we, as humans, see...but what is the horse seeing? Most of my students don't fall into these jump traps.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
That horse is just gorgeous :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts