The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all have those little moments.. especially when you have a horse, it's inevitable!

Today, I think I aged about 10 years. I had the fright of my life.

It has been a normal day, apart from the English weather has been kind to us for once! I was turning out my horse, as I always do and he has a little frolic and dropped to roll. I noticed that he was a little too close to the fence (in hindsight, I really should have clapped at him to get him up but I just froze). I thought that he would be sensible enough not to flip himself all the way over as he didn't have room. I was wrong.

It happened faster than I could have done anything about. He had hit the fence and both back legs had gone through (this is a pig wired fence that surrounded my neighbours garden).

Now this is what I love my horse for, his calmness in situations like this. He managed to get himself back onto his belly (his back legs still through the fence) and pulled himself forward and free from the fence using his front legs. Once free, he sat there for a second and that is when my heart sank... but before I could take a step closer to him to see if he was okay, he had jumped up, taken four HUGE bucks in the direction of that evil fence and was casually trotting along the fence line, tail in the air as if nothing had happened.

Moral of the story, boot your horses kids, because I am sure mine saved my horse from a scratch or two today!

P.s. I may have to fix my neighbours fence tomorrow...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
My Appy has a REALLY bad habit of rolling too close to the fence. Luckily we have PVC coated wire so he won't get stuck stuck. The one time I watched him roll too close to the round pen and he got stuck. He just lolled his head backwards and looked at me as if to say "Well don't just stand there! Fix me!!" He's a goober and a half that boy.

No matter how many times I chase him off the fence with a lunge whip when he goes to roll he continues to do it. It's annoying to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Its good when they just calmly fix themselves or wait for help.

I have only had one of my horses get stuck in a fence. I didn't see it but my horse rolled too close and got one leg caught in two strands of plain wire. I was in the house and looked out to see him like that. I rushed out and he looked at me as if to say good you're finally here. He didn't move a muscle until I told him he could then he slowly got up and walked off.

Reactions: speedy da fish
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.