The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a second catalog from a company called Schneiders (sstack.com). While they seem to have a variety of equestrian supplies, they appear to specialize in horse blankets. Anyone know anything about them? Winter approaches, and while I'm very happy with my Noble Equestrian rainy/cold weather turnout blanket, I'm 100% done with Tough1. They used to be good, but the last two Tough1 turnout blankets I've had both tore and shredded in very dangerous ways. My mare likes to lay down in her blanket...even in the rain. She's not otherwise hard on them. She's about size 81", depending on the blanket.

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
I like them, their well made and they have a great customer service team if you aren’t happy. I got a free fly sheet when the one I ordered didn’t fit right, they told me to keep it but sent a replacement that was a different style.
I have had niggles with the front fastening on their rain sheets so tend to buy a different brand

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The only blankets I have bought, and will continue to buy. I love the StormShield blankets with the bellyband...also can get a neck attachment to go with them. The only problem I ever had is with the snaps breaking on first use on my first one, but the company sent me eight replacements, free, without me asking for any compensation - I just wanted them to know that they may have had a bad batch of hardware go out! Since, I've ordered two more and haven't had a problem with anything.

Reactions: Feathers7

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
IIRC... I accidentally ordered a Schneiders for Supes late last winter when the went on clearance sale somewhere. I mean, I knew it was a Schneiders and I meant to order a blanket... I just didn't expect it to be as NICE as it is. I didn't know what I was getting, in other words. I can't remember the style, just know it's water proof, fits him perfectly, and it's so snuggly and warm...

Pretty sure that's what brand I got for him... and it's very well made! Love how the belly band is attached and works, and it probably saved Supe's life through the worst part of winter and early spring when it's still sloppy, wet, and darn right flesh-carving cold.

Reactions: Feathers7

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
If I were to be in a situation where I was blanketing, I would use Schneider's blankets-- for the money, they are quality and fit well. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Loved the fit, and had great luck...at first. Then two winters ago, the waterproofing on a heavyweight from Schneiders that had been great the prior year failed miserably in a sleet/snow storm. My 20-something mare was soaked through to the bone with that heavy soggy blanket on all night until morning chores. I had had the blanket professionally cleaned before use in that storm, and worried maybe the cleaning did something to the waterproofing. Called the company and explained what happened, and they asked for a couple of pictures but sent me a warranty-covered replacement at no cost. Great! Put the brand new, right out of the packaging blanket on in time for the next sleet/rain storm to come through. Much to my dismay, THAT brand new blanket also soaked through, and poor old lady was again shivering under a heavy, soaked mess.

I don't know if the quality or waterproofing process changed in the recent past, but I was thoroughly disappointed after that experience. I was totally prepared for the problem to have been my fault for having the blanket cleaned, but when a brand new blanket just out of the packaging responded the same way, it was a real turnoff.

It's a shame, because I love how they fit my weirdly shaped Morgan mares, and they ARE extremely tough and well made- except, apparently, this waterproofing issue. I have saved them and will put them on when it's extremely cold but not expected to be sleet or wet snow. I just wish I could trust the waterproofing.

Last year I switched to Horsewear Amigos, and those held up great, also fit my Morgans well, and never let me down on the waterproofing.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Really like Schneider blankets fit well and hold up really good. The newest blanket stormsheild soaked through in last rain storm. Left my gelding shivering cold.

Called customer service and they are sending me a new blanket no charge. Good enough I'm happy was able to go down a size,78 is to big on ice.

Using an old Schneider blanket currently and it is still water proof going on 6 years. Only issue belly straps are to long even adjusted ,all the way up. Will see how a 75 fits when new blanket arrives. Ice has gotten kinda thin so blankets that fit, are floating on him.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I have a full set of turnout and a full set of stable blankets from Schneider's (and a fly blanket and shoulder guards). They're the ONLY (and how I wish I was exaggerating) company that makes blankets that actually fit my Arabian. The quality is a amazing and their customer service is spot on. I ALWAYS recommend them when people ask because they have a blanket to fit dang near every horse out there.

ETA: I've been familiar with their blankets since 1996/1997 when I got my start in horses. I've been using their blankets on my guy since he was a bitty baby (so, almost 11 years now).

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My horse only broke his by tumbling down a hill and that busted his knee open too. They are tough. My fly sheet was $19.99 on clearance! Normally 99! Fits great!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your input, everyone. =) Seems like Schneider's isn't immune from the 'lemon' blanket problem either. BUT at least they have a 10yr warranty, and good customer service.

Conditions are ~20 to 40 degrees F, heavy rainstorms, heavy duty construction. Looks like Schneider's has a temperature guide online, I'll check that out. The Stormshield Nordlund Combo looks good. 1680D, no back seam so it shouldn't leak...wish it had a bellyband option. Will probably have to get a slicker. My mare is Shire x Trakehner and that Trakehner side gives her a really high headset when she wants to 'see' something. Many of the other blankets have rubbed on the lower portion of her mane because of this (it's sacrilege!) The cutback design Schneiders has is a good idea, but doesn't seem logical for rain.

@egrogan Yeah that was about the same experience I had with Tough1 blankets. I ordered one, had it for 1 weeks, finally put it on my horse for a few days. Then I came home on one (thankfully sunny) day, saw my mare standing at her pasture gate and... "Where is her blanket?" It was hanging off of her neck, the rest was shredded except for the ripstop nylon edges. Could've been a disaster, but she just calmly stood there and didn't much care what happened. Tough1 sent me a replacement after I showed them what happened, and the next one lasted for one winter (about 3-4 months). By that time I had gotten the Noble Equestrian blanket with a free neck cover. But, yeah, always looking for new and better. Unfortunately 'new' seems to be meaning 'worse'. You're the second person to recommend the Horseware Amigo, the other being a friend of mine who has a Morgan! Will have to consider that too. =) Thank you.

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Especially after cleaning, I re-waterproof my blankets. I just assume the cleaner ruined the waterproofing. I go to Walmart, in the camping section, and buy the Scotchgard Heavy Duty Waterproof Spray and hang the blanket over the fence and spray it. It will dry pretty well in a couple of hours, enough you could put it on your horse, but I prefer to leave it alone all day.

Since I frequently buy the stable blankets & sheets, I also waterproof those right out of the bag.

If you clean your own blankets, you can order the Nikwax wash and waterproofer from Schneiders too. Schneiders has their own version as well, but I haven't used it.

https://www.chewy.com/scotchgard-heavy-duty-water-shield/dp/159881?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Scotchgard&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwivbsBRDsARIsADyISJ9FXJsj0ov4QXox4ibN-79SGyQcg76NY9bxsxfo38GUJN26xuqiQ3kaAqZoEALw_wcB

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
We’ve got a WB, an ID, an IDSH and a Clyde x cob, all very deep birthed horses that have a tendency to make a lot of blankets look like mini skirts.
The Schneider blankets are OK on my daintier pinto and were great for the welsh x Arabian but I now mostly buy Premier Equine blankets for the others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.