The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After glueing my current boots together, it got me thinking that maybe I should be on the lookout for a good pair of new paddock boots.

I've only ever used ariat paddock boots. I had a pair of ariat scouts that lasted a good six years before I finally wore a big hole in the sole. I beat the heck out of those things. They were my everyday go to boots for walking around, wading through muddy pastures and riding 4 to 5 times a week. And best of all, those suckers stayed waterproof.

I got myself a pair of ariat extreme insulated boots, and they aren't holding up as well under similar conditions. I've had them for about a year and the sole is already coming off where the ball of my foot is. The leather is also cracking in spots, so I'd rather replace than resole them.

So what gives? I got a more expensive ariat model, and it lasts only a fraction of the time my old scouts did. Did ariat boots go down in quality without my knowledge? I want to get another pair of scouts like the ones that served me so well, but if ariats quality is going down the drain, I'd rather buy something else. I've heard good things about dublin and tredstep boots, do they hold up well to abuse? My budget is 150$.

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
I had read a few years ago many comment that something changed with Ariats and the quality, longevity of their products pretty much across the board in all boots.
I don't know what changed, but something must have.

To me, if you want to resole then you need a stitched on sole not glued on to start with.
A large step up in quality of the product made from the onset and cost will show/reflect that step up in quality.

I found that even with waterproof boots if I mink-oiled the boots paying special attention to the sole and side of the footbed areas where step-sloshing through wet conditions are harshest to leather it helped extend the life of the leather.
A coat of boot polish helped to keep the contaminants and caustics away from the leather too.
I mink-oiled my boots and also sprayed on waterproofing sprays when the moisture beading stopped being apparent..
Mink-oil will darken leather so caution to that....

At some point in time though the leather just gives up and then the hunt and search is on for new boots often not found of the same quality anymore...
Like everything else where leather is concerned, the animal the hide comes from is not the same age, thickness and resilient a hide to start with so the product made from it is not the same anymore either.:frown_color:
I have no idea what other boot brand or style might give you the quality and longevity you seek to replace, sorry.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
I'd also contact Ariat. Sometimes there is a fault with a certain style and they will compensate or you just got a bad pair and again they will compensate. They have been really reasonable when I contacted them about a pair of half chaps. Sent a replacement pair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts