The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I typically ride in a 15" or 15.5" western saddle with a swell fork. My wife has started riding and loves my Big Horn trail saddle, so...what momma wants, momma gets.

I did a lot of trying out new saddles and wound up buying a Hud Roberts Wade Tree from PFI in Springfield. I really like it for its versatility. I'm into both trail riding and team sorting. Plus they are great looking saddles IMO.

I bought the 15.5" and am wondering if I should swap it former 15". Due to the tree being a Wade it seems a little more roomy to me than what I'm used to. EVERYONE who has seen me in it says I don't need to downsize.

My question: do any of you ride a different size seat in a Wade or A-Fork versus a saddle with larger swells? Should I just put bucking rolls on?

Sorry I don't have any pics of me sitting in the saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
If saddle fits your horse well . I'd keep the one you took if it was me.
Here's mine. :runninghorse2: It's an older Circle Y . Sorry bout messy shop pic's .:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I ride a 16 inch wade. My roper is a 16 inch as well. I like a little extra room in my saddle personally. I have a pair of bucking rolls on mine as well that I can remove as needed. Depending on what I'm riding. It really is up to you if you like it smaller get smaller. Again I personally don't like to be wedged in a saddle. I like to be able to move a bit.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Slick seats have more room than a padded seat, something like 1/2" - 3.4" on average. It's possible that it could just be too big.

A seat shrinker might work pretty well, too. They work well on high cantle seats, and not so great on flat roper types. If you look around you can sometimes find one on ebay for $25 or so. I used one. I also tied it down to the rear cinch to make certain it couldn't pop off the slick seat saddle.
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...110275273723&gclid=CPrTzuerisYCFYMCaQodyXYAuA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.