The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's all over the news but unfortunately I'm driving. Devastated for the family of this lady and sorry for the animals. My prayers go to all the staff and the animals.

If someone can post some links.

Stay safe everyone
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
My thoughts go out to everyone involved.
However these are not domesticated animals. They can be dangerous, and this is a very sobering reminder of that.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
A good reminder that these icons are not pets or performers, they are wild animals. They are big smart animals and will lash out as animals do...

My heart goes out to those experiencing this terrible loss.

Maybe Tillikum is done being a performer? The article said he has killed one person before, maybe it is time he be treated like the wild animal he is... Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Although her death is unfortunate, this is a reminder that we should not keep roaming large animals such as killer whales in captivity. It is unhealthy for the whales and dangerous for their handlers. It does not surprise me in the least that a killer whale that is mentally unwell would lash out at anyone he could. The deceased trainer is not the only victim here.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Although her death is unfortunate, this is a reminder that we should not keep roaming large animals such as killer whales in captivity. It is unhealthy for the whales and dangerous for their handlers. It does not surprise me in the least that a killer whale that is mentally unwell would lash out at anyone he could. The deceased trainer is not the only victim here.
Wholeheartedly agreed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Very sad...But I agree with roro
And this whale is responsible for at least two more deaths, at least that's what I've read...

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
When I heard the news at work today, because the TV that I can see from the kitchen plays CNN all day - I was completely heart broken, for the whale.

How saddened I was, and still am - at the thought of these beautiful animals, being used in captivity, after being caught from the wild - to perform for Human Kinds amusement.

For pete's sake, back home in British Columbia, Killer Whales have been known to take Bull Moose off the shore, these creatures kill other whales - how in the world would anyone believe that these animals wouldn't do the same to us? Captivity or not?

Give me a break.

Now - the poor whale will be punished - for Man's Mistake.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
^^ Thats the first thing I thougth when I herd that.

What part of "wild" dont people get?
Wild =/= domesticated.

Whales roam thousands of miles a year, they werent ment to live in a tiny tank.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I feel really
Bad:( but I mean they are animals and unpredictable, at least he died doing something he loved( well I'm pretty sure he liked it)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
176 Posts
Its a Killer Whale! They kill for a living. Its their thing. Taken from a big ol' ocean and forced to live in a tank is just so wrong on so many different levels.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Now there's talk amongst newscasters on whether or not the whale should be euthed... WTF?! It's a wild animal, and should be let to be wild!

Its a Killer Whale! They kill for a living. Its their thing.

Uhhhhh, most predators do... not just whales. They don't get bonus points for creativity.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I don't know why but this topic just angers me more ad more the more I hear about it.

Hmmmm...highly intelligent, predatory, migratory creatures that weigh tons kept in small pens after being taken from their natural habitat(aka the largest area on the planet: the ocean), and paraded around in front of an audience doing mindless tricks a few times a day... Hmmm, seems like they were asking for trouble. Why euthanize an animal that is merely acting as a reaction to the way it is kept?

Another animal suffering for human pride and entertainment. I feel terrible the trainer was killed, but it really is a hazard of the job, you know that when you choose to work with these animals they are dangerous, if you still do it, it is your own fault should you get hurt or killed.

By the way I love being around animal lovers, a human gets killed by a captive animal and they immediately look at the situation and do not see "aww poor person, lets kill the animal that took its life", they see "aww poor wild animal kept confined for human entertainment that lashed out at a handler and is now going to suffer for something it has no control over", it makes me really happy that some people are not just thinking about the human lives here.

Rant ended, promise lol. I will be good now

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Sorry but I have to add this, cute and playful? lol yeah as a pack of wolves...

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
well, I have mixed feelings about captured whales in captivitity
the thought of using these animals in shows for profit of the owners
but also look at how many people have learned about Orca's, and
have been educated about them. The trainer who died, was from Idiania
and decided she wanted to work in the marine animal field at the age of 9 after watching a whale show at seaworld. (according to one article I read).
She was one of Sea Worlds most experienced trainers. And her death was
caused by drowning.

Reading about the other people who died with this whale, the one hid in the park
until after closing. The article said they found him draped over the back of the
whale in only his underwear. they don't know if he went into the whale tank
on his own or slipped or was pulled in. (his cause of death was hypothermia)

But in all of the deaths contributed to this one whale, The whale never tried to
eat them, more of like using them for a toy. But the thing is an animal over
12,000 lbs using a less than 200 lb person as a toy, the toy is going to get hurt.

Now the problem is what to do with the whale. Some are saying to euthenize it.
some are saying return it to the ocean. Well the one in Mexico (Keiko) was
returned to the ocean and he later died. Couldn't survive after being in captivity
so long. Retire the whale and care for it the rest of its life but you would not
be able to say put it in a tank and just leave it there with no input or interaction
from other whales. it would be better to euthenize him if that is what the future
holds.

These whales all have different personalities, good days and bad days according
to the article. Just like our horses, just like people. Probably just like all creatures
great or small. It was a tragic accident. But I think one that could have been
stopped before it had happened if all the warning signs had been heeded.
would not be right either,

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
this is about pilot whales. Now did this alpha male attack her
or was it something else.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Exactly. Frankly it's amazing that there aren't more frequent deaths attributed to the large marine mammals kept in captivity. LOL, I just read the rest of the replies. Nice to be among like-minded people!

^^That woman is a farking moron! Maybe it's just my phobia speaking, but there's no way in hell I would get in the water. Wild animals people... Argh.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.