The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is many people who sell their horses, but I attached to my three horses as they are my babies since I will never able to have a baby of my own.

I encountered a finical issues now due to my boyfriend being laid off from his job. I know caring horses is expensive, but I am trapped now.

I wonder how can I sell my baby one Chao without feeling guilty or sadness. Or is there any methods I can do to save my all three horses without selling them. Leasing isn't an option for me because my oldest mare is retired, my gelding is having back issues, and my baby is too young.

Any ideas and advice? Thank you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If your mare is calm, and sound for light riding, there are parents who would pay a reasonable price to half lease a kids horse.

That's about it. Let you know if I think of something else.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Are you boarding the horses? If so, could you move them to cheaper facilities (they usually have less features like an indoor arena, etc., but still provide feed and shelter)? Could you take over doing some of the work yourself to get a discount on your current board?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
If your family is having financial troubles, then having three horses to care for is the last thing you need. Keep this in mind- what if you have to deplete your savings in order to pay for the upkeep of all three horses? In that case, what will you do if one of them gets sick/injured with a very high vet bill? Selling may be very difficult now, but it's much less awful than being forced to put one of your babies down because you can't pay for them all! Go through the right avenues to find your young horse a proper home that YOU are comfortable with, and it will be a financial relief to you. You'll be able to focus your time and money on your other two horses, and if you find the right buyer then you shouldn't feel guilty about your choice. It's in the best interests of your family and all of your horses.

That said, I don't know the ins and outs of your finances. If you think that your situation will change in the near future then it may not be a bad idea to look into moving them to a cheaper facility, or at least try to find a lease. Depending on the issues with your two older horses, they may make good therapy horses if they're quiet. From what I remember, the work is light with mostly walk and minimal trotting, and many times the folks running the facility love to work out free leases with semi retired horses. I would still look long and hard into selling your young horse, though. It may be hard, but selling him is better than slowly draining your finances until the point where you're struggling to maintain one of your horses! The horse won't hold it against you, and you will likely be making a wise step if you find a good, responsible buyer.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If you are in financial straits the only wise thing to do is sell one or all of the horses before you are forced to take any offer from just any person to feed the others or yourself.

There is no way to avoid feeling sad or guilty but you can focus on the fact that the new home is probably going to be alright. Most people are not cruel and most likely any horse sold will be to a good home.
Focus on the positives of the situation not on your loss. That might ease the loss and the guilt.

Horses are livestock and are expensive to maintain. Reducing your expenses is logical and the right thing to do. Good luck Shalom

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I decided to keep all three. I am looking for another job and my boyfriend is currently looking for one. I have extra money ready for emergencies, but if there isn't any job comes up in few months then I will have to start finding a good home for my baby one.

Thank you for your answers. It helped me to think about my decision better. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.