The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just note, I'm writing this in tears so sorry if my spelling, and general coherence is going hay-wire.

I don't know what to do. I was ready for a young horse when I was working with my trainer each week. Now I haven't been to see her in over 3 months and I haven't ridden in over a month. Ricky was the perfect horse when I was working with my trainer, and now my parents expect me to hop on Ricky after he is broken even though I haven't ridden in over a month. So you might say the easiest thing to do is to gt lessons? Well I can't because my trainer has no more ridng horses. She sold them all and theres no other western places I can get lessons.

I've dealt with Ricky's problems on my own, but I don't know why everyone is pressuring me into getting him broken and riding him. I've worked with so many young horses before but the pressures from school, and my friends and work is just getting to me.

I love my pony more than anything in the world. He holds me together when everything is going wrong. Hes my baby; forever and always. He's the only boy I trust cause I know deep down as much as he can kick and rear, he will never break my heart.

I don't know what to do. Seriously I don't. We don't have the time anymore to take him to the trainers, I work, Dad works, Mum works. I think its time I put him up for sale. I think its time I buy myself a riding horse and just get back into competing.

I know of a mare thats for sale at the moment who is perfect for me and is the same price for what I would sell Ricky for. I really just want to ride and have a pony that I can spend time with and bond iwth. But I already have such a connection with Ricky. How can I sell the only thing in my life that I can actually rely on? How come I just give my boy?

Deep down, I know selling him is the best option. I know I should sell him to a home where he will be shown and to a place where he will get the attention and work he needs.

I know to you guys, that this happens every day. People sell their ponies and move on, but I don't know whether I'm doing the right thing.
So
a)Should I sell my pony? Sell my world, my boo, my man who I know will never break my heart?
b)Send him away for training? Lease him out?
c)Forget about the pressures from school and just focus on him?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I think if you love him as much as you say you do you need to take some time out and get away from the pressure and think long and hard about what you want to do.

Make a pro con list or whatever you have to do.

Maybe you could lease him out or something. Or if you really do feel(not just because every one is pressuring you, it is YOUR horse after all) it is best to sell him, dont feel bad, uit is what you need to do.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Is there really a set amount of time that someone is supposed to hang out with their horses? I doubt a horse has any such expectation and so what ever you do, as long as it is not outright ignore him, will be just fine- he most likely won't know the difference. I am thinking this is too big of a choice to be made quickly.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Your schooling is far more important. Horses come and go but not your schooling. Drop out now and you will never start again.
Sending a horse to the trainers is expensive. Can you afford it and if sent to a trainer you have to keep his schooling up . The trainer can only do so much.
If you are not capable or have the skill to ride him, or are afraid of him hurting you then you are better off with the older mare.

He will find a good home, I assume you didn't breed him, you are a good mom, there are others out there too.
He is not the horse for you so find him a good one.
Good luck

·
Registered
152 Posts
Personally there are alot of times I dont have time "ride" my horses, they are all green, but I wont sell them. I love them, they are my de-stresser after a really bad day(course they can give me a bad day too:), and if going out to feed them and maybe brushing their tail because its a mess for 10 mins is all I get..then thats all I get. Even if you do sell him, how do you know they wont be in the same position as you? How do you know that he would get more out of it? But then again, if you need a already rideable horse more, then that something you have to do. Everyone thought I was nuts to get (2) 6 month old colts (you cant ride them so what are you getting out of them they would say)..but you know what, those 2 taught me things I would never have learned getting a already "knows what to do" horse. They were my first horses..I wasnt a rider, had no clue what to do, but they have taught me alot. I just would ride with a friend who already had the "knows what to do" horses to get more confidence in riding. And now my horses and I are learning together..and I did send them to a trainer for 45 days just to learn the basics because I didnt have a clue how to teach them..but if I did know how I would have done it myself because I worried about them the whole time. If they all came up not rideable tomorrow I would still keep them...they are my sanity with 3 girls (8, 15, 18)...I just enjoy spending time with them. But you have to do whats right for you...and not listen to people who want to tell you what they think is right for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I once almost bought a foal because it is pretty much my DREAM to own one. but, sadly, I am only fifteen and I need to focus on school. I can't do that if I'm too worried about a foal's training! But at the same time, focus on what you want to do, and what you can do. Relate the two to each other, and think long and hard with your trainer. Good luck, he sounds like a great boy.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
It's entirely up to you. Not your parents [unless they pay the bills] but you. Personally, I don't think you have too much on your plate. I work full-time, go to school full-time, I have to juggle my boyfriend and friends, on top of keeping Ricci in shape, and training my 19 month old. It's a lot, sure, but you learn how to cope, and how to juggle. I am willing to sleep 5 hours a night, and eat on the go to make myself more time. You just have to figure out what YOU'RE willing to give up or sacrifice.

I do agree with RiosDad, do not drop out of school, whether it be college or high school. Maybe try to take a vacation from work during a break in school to get yourself re-focused and re-vamped. I know I always feel better after a few days off. =]

And one more thing, you said there are no other western places to take lessons? Why not take english lessons? Riding is riding, and lessons are lessons, right? And there's always room to improve and grow in your horse knowledge.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
If you love him so much I'd try and lease him partially, so both - you and another person could keep him in shape. Don't sacrifice the school. It's VERY hard to get back if you stop. Better for him to wait you for another year or two than give up on education.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would go for B or C. If you love him that much (it really sounds like it) I would not sell him. Havana was bought for me to ride her, but I only rode her once. I honestly do not see why people think if you have a horse, you have to ride it. But in my opinion I would not sell him.

·
Registered
91 Posts
DON'T SELL HIM!!! I went through the exact same thing with my horse. I came so close to selling him (5 months of hell). I didn't and I am so so so so so so so so so happy I never sold him.
I say C
If you are prepared to get another riding horse and go ride and compete how can you say that you have no time for your pony??? If all you wanted to do was ride and compete then why didn't you get yourself that horse in the first place?

I know your situation. You want a fresh start; you want something new; you want something better...you won't get it! You are doubting yourself. You can do this! Maybe...do you feel that your bond is breaking with him? oh ya...who cares if you can't train him in a certain amount of time? This is for you. Why are you going to sell your pony because of other people? Do something different from everyone else, love your pony and let him be free. You need inspiration. Go to his paddock and just chill with him or play with him. No halter, just you and him.

Here is your inspriation : www.[B]hempfling[/B].com.au/ even if you don't ride him right away because you don't have a trainer, if you have a bond like Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling, you can work with your pony, with no bits, whips or spurs and ride him freely.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So last night I made the decison that he will be sold. This decision isn't final at the moment, I'm giving myself a few weeks but thats the decision I'm at.
I just want to get out the reasons why I'm selling him because that really helps me.
1) As much as I love that pony, I just don't feel I have the time anymore. I've gotten him through all his problems, I've made him a better horse. But most days all I do with him is walk, trot, back, pivot and let him have his dinner.
2) I honestly don't feel at this point in time, taking on a young horse was the right move for me. I have exams, pressure from my job, waaaay too much pressure from my friends and Ricky is just getting left behind.
3) I could send him to the trainers, but my lack of time would just let him go backwards.
4) Horses come and go, and Ricky has certainly taught me a lot. He's taught me patience, he's taught me how be assertive, he's taught me more than you could imagine.

I'm very sad about this. Its breaking my heart making this decision to sell me boy but deep down I know its the right thing to do. He's my world, my boo and I love him more than you'll ever know.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
It also sounds like he has taught you how to make a responsible decision even if it hurts!

You have gotten him thru this hurdle in life. Now you can get thru your hurdle in life (school, etc) and when you are done I am sure there will be another horse that needs you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The decision is probably for the better. Make sure he goes to a good home:?. You haven't come out of this worse than you entered. You learned a lot and I am sure you'll have another horsie friend one day. Good luck :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Good to hear you've come to a decision.

I'll just go through my initial thoughts on your ideas of what to do.
I personally would not lease a young, unbroken pony to anyone. You do not know how they will break him, and it is likely you'll get him back and won't enjoy riding him. Plus the leasees have put a heap of work into breaking him, not to mention money, then you'll want him back. If I was looking to lease I horse, I definitely wouldn't consider getting an unbroken horse because of the above mentioned reasons.

As for passing up school and concentrating on horses. Just my opinion but... bad idea. Without your schooling, you'll struggle to find work, especially at the moment. You can always get another horse. When I did year 12, I had a 2 year old ottb mare, I rode her up until July, then spelled her until I finished final exams. It was good for her, she got the basics down for under saddle work, then got time to be a horse.

As for selling, well I do think that this is a good idea. As much as you love him, and you may think he loves you. Really, he will 'love' the hand that feeds him. You cannot put a human emotion to an animal. Yes they have emotions, but not the same as we do and love for another species probably isn't one of them. You will sell him, and within a week he would have settled nicely into his new home and think his owners are great because they're feeding him.
It won't bother him being sold, he doesn't care!!! So I say sell, get through school with your best efforts, and then get a job and buy a new horse that will suit you better. Whether its another breaker or something under saddle.
Personally I find it a little contradicting that you want to sell him and buy something to compete on. An under saddle horse, unless it is a total schoolmaster and very quiet, that is expected to competed efficiently will need more work and money put in than a breaker in a lot of aspects. Yes breakers require a lot of attention, but you don't need to ride them daily or near daily as their body cannot handle it. Plus when it comes to final exams you can spell a breaker for 5-6 months and then start again. It is ENCOURAGED to spell breakers after they're learned walk trot canter turn and stop to let them develop. Where as an under saddle horse is harder to spell as you really have to get that fitness back up before you can compete again.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree with Kayty and she is right about Ricky settling in. I do think you will have to just pleasure ride because as Kayty said if you don't have enough time for a breaker you won't have enough time for a show horse.

I have a separate question...what does it mean to "spell" a horse?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
it means to give a horse a break for a while. to give them a rest

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Before I say anything, Don't let anyone make this decision for you.

If you really want to keep him, do it. Maybe ask people for help if you can't afford another 30 or so days on him. You seem to really love him and I just have a feeling you'll regret it if you send him away.

Maybe just work with him yourself, after school. I've been doing that with Honey and there have been times when I haven't been able to eveng et on her back but just some basic ground work, like putting on leg and neck reining and stuff of that nature.

I know it's a tough decision, hon, but I tihnk you'll get it right.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Oh, for gosh sakes, sell the horse. You sound like you have a lot of common sense and good for you for that. You need to stay safe, and young horses need to be worked many days a week to be calm and safe and to develop the way they should. A time and place for everything. Education is what you are supposed to be focusing on. That way you can get a good job and make lots of money and spend it all on horses in the future :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.