The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So perhaps your horse is past the 'good' years or so other like to think, hopefully here we can get members to talk about their golden oldies in regards to their general health, if in light exercise, any issues they have faced along the way, all things one can share really. Some of us get an old horse, some of us grow old with them, either way they are special in every way and should not be forgotten!!! Lets hope we can get your personal stories and all share your lessons and gain inspiration to the golden years!!!

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
My mare is smack in the middle of her "good" years, at 27 years old. :lol:

I got her when she was 23, nearly 4 years ago, so I'm getting the pleasure of sharing her golden years.

She's still in relatively hard work for a horse her age. We go on 45 minute-hour long trail rides, w/t/c/g, about 2-3 times a week and she (with a little help from me, haha) gives w/t lessons to a couple kids a few days a week.
I think part of why she's so sound and everything (never had a lame day, she's had days where she got trimmed too short n' such but nothing structural) is that she nearly killed a guy when she was 10 (he was being stupid and Lacey doesn't like stupid) so she was retired from that day on until I bought her. Of course, they didn't tell me about that until I had put a lot of work into her. :lol:

She needed A LOT of training when I got her, and luckily I was able to train her, so I'm just now starting to reap the benefits of having a really reliable older horse. She's still very opinionated and I feel like she'll always be that way, but it makes her fun.

The things I'm extra careful to do due to her age are keeping her as fit as I can and I give her a really long warm up before I ask her to gallop or doing anything unduly stressful on her body. I also make sure to not let her get too tired. I worry that she'll get too tired one day and end up injuring herself because of fatigued joints. I guess you could say I'm just a bit overprotective. haha

I also make sure to blanket her all winter. I feel like it's a kindness to her because, although she'd survive being unblanketed, she's happier blanketed.
Basically, my motto with her is: after she's gone, am I going to be happier knowing that I stuck to my guns about not blanketing if shelter is available, or that she was always clean becuase I never let her roll in mud, or whatever, OR am I going to be happier knowing that she was snuggly in her blanket all winter, or had a great time rubbing the mud into her fur after a ride, or whatever else makes her happy.
I choose the second option, so basically I go out of my way to create Lacey's life in a way perfect to her. For her, that means being blanketed all winter, living alone with 2 llamas for a little companionship (she gets shoved around by other horses and then she gets depressed), having little kids come see her all the time, getting to roll after every ride with me, and just being loved.
I figure that she's lived this long, she deserves it!

She's a real sweetie... I hope you won't mind me attaching a picture... :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep the stories coming and pics too!!

I have just purchased a old horse what I was told was 23, my dentist did his teeth the other week and said more like 28! He has a skin condition and that is getting sorted to, have a post on here looking for ideas.

He is so beautiful a soul and I don't think he is ready to stop yet. I have been doing some natural horsemanship with him and he is still listening and responding, he is getting a kick out of it! I have been on him once around the rural area we are and he had a spring in his step like a younger horse. Think that is my greatest concern that I am going to be asking too much of him in some peoples eyes, all I am wanting and was my plan before buying him was something gentle and slow what would not fuss around other horses at the horse club. Just a walk and trot to do the events is all I am wanting, not hard and fast, have two other horses that are brilliant at that!

For now we are working on put weight on (he was poor when I got him) and his spots, the pic is of him after his bath so not normally so dark.

I figure by keeping his mind and body healthy then he may just be around for a lot more years.

He is an old mustering horse who would have been bushed when not in use so thinking all the good food, tlc and anything else he needs is his right as he has put in the hard yards earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I have a 22 year old QH gelding..He is a fat spoiled brat..Hickory is in semi-retirement right now while I'm focusing on showing my two mares but I still ride him around the house and work him every so often..He still bucks when he feels good and acts like a 5 year old instead of a 22 year old..I have people all the time tell me they don't believe his age by his looks and his attitude..I've had him for 7 years now and I don't know what I'd do without him..even if he is a pain some days..

Last September at State Championships with my little sister.

SO cute in his pink blanket..

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
Here's my 25 y/o Paso Fino Arthur. I still have to order pictures of him at fair last summer, but here's a few pictures from the last two years. My parents have had him since he was three, and I inherited him when I was old enough to ride. The past few years we've cleaned up at fair and 4-H shows, doing gaited classes, gymkhana, reining, jumping, showanship, and bareback classes.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
This thread couldn't have appeared at a more perfect time! I am considering buying a horse who is 22 years old. I used to lease him and I know he's a wonderful horse, very friendly and broke. But I'm worried about purchasing him since he is so old. Should I expect problems with him? Like more vet bills? What should I expect with a horse at that age?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I have a wonderful 23 year old Standardbred gelding. Kody is completely retired as a pasture puff as his hindquarters are riddled with arthritis. Having said that he can still run with the best of them when he feels like it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a Grade mare i bought for my father to ride she was older then 20 when i got her 4 years ago. She is hard to put weight on and keep it on but the best cattle horse i have ever seen. I only compete on her a few times a year, But she loves it and tryed to eat the cows.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
My old guy of 29 buckskin, is my best friend. He is fully retired and currently on my cousin's pasture - he is happy picking away. Its kind of hard to see him "old", he was once a super proud cow horse...and he would have assumed die as to back down to anything. When I ride my mare, I sometimes worry about dogs - although one has never "come to get us", if they did I don't know what her response would be. I would have never worried w my buckskin - there would have been no contest. My cousin put out multiple mineral blocks, and the buckskin decided one in particular was his - and decided a bull that wanted it, too, could just bug off. when my cousin told me, I thought, "omg...he is old, what is he thinking!!!!". Well, the little guy didn't back down and the bull didn't either which I am sure shocked the buckskin...instead no one was hurt, a lot of posturing, and they became pasture buddies!
He doesn't hold weight like he use to, but he's in great shape for his age.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I would so consider (and have) getting another aged horse. I got Thelma at the young age of 22, she'll be 24 in a couple months. She still wants to go, and I love her. She's all I could ask for. She is in excellent condition. I assume it's because she was a broodie and then a pasture puff for more than half her life. I don't actually know when she was broke(none of her past owners will admit it was them...strange, considering how well broke she is.Someone definitely put a lot of time into her.)but I know she spent a lot of her life doing not much. She is going to live with me forever even when she decides that she is done riding.

Reactions: Wallaby

·
Registered
262 Posts
My TB mare will be 23 March 27th. She has arthritis and stiffness due to injuries she had prior to my having her. I bought her when she was about 18. She still has a lot of go, but we have to limit how much we ride b/c of her issues. She is an excellent trail horse. She does require more care, she gets hock injections and I'm starting her on Smart Pak senior supplements, but I wouldn't trade her for the world. And I wouldn't turn a good horse down b/c of age.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I bought back my old boy, Sam (who is now 20), last June. We originally purchased him when he was 3 and owned him until he was about 15. We had two major moves in one year and reluctantly sold him to friends, who had wanted him for many years as a pony club mount. A couple of years later they sold him again and I lost track of him. Since then, we moved back to the country on our own acreage. When I saw Sam for sale last June in an online add, I knew we had to bring him home to retire. I have known and loved this horse for most of his life.

Now he is home with us again and enjoying semi-retirement. He's a little arthritic and doesn't have the desire to jump like he used to, but he still loves to go out on a good long trail hack. We have him on glucosamine for his joints and he gets ridden consistently, once or twice a week. He still gets impatient and prances like crazy when he wants to go, but he is my old trusted friend and a gentleman at that. I am so grateful that he will grow old with us where we can love him and care for his needs. He has been a good and faithful friend and hopefully will continue to be for many years to come.

Sam at about 6 or 7 years of age.

Sam last June.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I have an oldie, his name is Blue, he is an arab/QH cross. When I got him we were told he was 15/16 by the seller, but when the vet came out to do his teeth she said he was 28. That was about 14 years ago so he's roughly 42 years old. I retired him about 5 years ago when I found out I was pregnant and didn't have the energy to ride and then he had lost so much muscle I decided to keep him a pasture buddy and get a younger horses be my main mount. Even at his age he rules his pasture and keeps everyone else in check. He's the best horse and taught me how to ride, I fell off so many times while learning(never took lessons until last year) every time I would fall off he would come to a dead stop and look at me and wait lol.
Here is my first love!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the stories, think I have become a sucker for the older ones (maybe it is my age that relates to them LOL) oh and don't tell the 5 and 12 year olds as sure to put their noses out of joint, I love em to bits too!!! Like you Rachel1786 I purchased my fella thinking he was younger then what I was told by the seller, I was not expecting a horse in his teens though, they advertised as 23 and were horsey people so took their word on it, as they got it from their dentist who said last year he was 22. Their dentist does not sedate and he is a bit head shy at the least so can not imagine how they did his teeth that well, 3 weeks into getting him my dentist was in town, she sedates and uses the power float.......... poor teeth top ones stubby and rounded and loosing a couple of molars, asking her what age she thought I got a 28 - 30!

So the old boy is older then I had wanted and I am still in contact with the last owners, I could make a fuss for my money back but he is the most kindest gentlest man alive.... my money paid for the honor of knowing this soul!!

His condition was a bit poor but in the last two weeks has improved, Mr Cheeky got into the feed shed by lifting the roller door...... one nicely rounded belly... just to work on the top line and his bum! He will never be a hot headed 5 year old in ability or body but I already have one of those so not looking for another but I did ride him a little yesterday. A walk to warm up then a trot, I even had the confidence to trot in smaller circles. (something I am still learning on the younger fella). I put a flower pot out and we trotted up to it and around and came home..... not looking at winning the nationals this year or ever in barrels. If my best time takes half the night my club still cheers me on, who wants to win sheep stations its all about fun right.

So ' old man emu ' thinking that is our show name and this old girl may get a chance to plod for a bit! mmm sure to upset a few people by not going hard and fast at some things this year but I am here for a long time, and if it takes a long time then it means I have more time in the saddle... did they think of that??? All fool them.

And to the post from the person about buying an older horse..... I say go for it! Yes they may ask a little more from your pocket but you get it ten times over in what they have to offer..... The greatest souls may end up in heaven sooner if we don't offer them into our lives, they are like our grandparents with so much to teach us and so much patients to give us!

I love my 'old man emu'!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This is my guy Skippy who is 26.....

This is him last summer with the our friends little girl aboard.

Reactions: FlyGap

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
I love the goldie oldies! Miss mine so much, love to see you guys cherish them!! Enjoyed this.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Love the oldies! Nothing better than a good ol' been there, done that senior horse.

Here's my oldest, Hondo - 30 yo QH. Most days he thinks he is 3. He still gets rode on a regular basis, does a couple lessons with kiddos each week. Never taken a lame step.
Horse Mammal Horse tack Horse supplies Bridle

Here' Jana, 25 yo QH. Was my youth reining mare in both of our younger days. Rode regularly, my resident babysitter and main lesson mount, she's quiet as can be for the little ones but still has plenty of motor for any competent adult that asks.
Horse Mammal Vertebrate Halter Rein

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Pasture Grazing

Buttons, 23 yo QH . Rode 4 times a week by my daughter. Was my WP mare for many years, will be packing my kiddo this season.
Horse Mammal Halter Rein Bridle

And last but not least, Missy Moo, 20 yo Hanoverian. My "being in my 30s stinks, I'm doing something for me" horse :) I ride her 5 times a week and jump on occasion for fun.
Horse Mammal Vertebrate Bridle Equestrianism

·
Registered
522 Posts
No goldie oldie here.... Smoke's got another six years to go before he qualifies. Just wanted to say that this thread makes me tear up! There's just something about an old horse that's been at your side through it all.. tugs at the heart strings!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.