The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone does to keep their senior horse happy and healthy? What do you feed? Supplements? Vet care?
My guy is 34 and I worry about him all the time. But as of this moment he is doing great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a horse that is 30 and I just let him wander in and out of the barn all day and night, keep hay in his stall at all times and when it is grass season I feed him soaked hay cubes mixed with some organic oats once a day so he gets his vitamins and his MSM. Even though I have shelters outside he chooses the barn on the hot, humid days to get away from the heat and the bugs. In the cooler weather when there is not as much grass he gets his hay cubes and oats twice a day. I have found when they have the grass they become a bit pickier with their feed. He maintains his weight really well and he is moving around constantly.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Depends on the horse. I've had some I fed senior feed. Some I just used a middle of the road pelleted feed. I've got a 38 yr old now that is an air fern who is on a real low carb diet.
I worry all the time. My old girl is healthy. No supplements. Lots of fiber.
Her face is grayed. She's lost a little top line but she still will rocket across the field with her tail flagging. She will still kick butt on much bigger horses. So as long as she's well I leave her be.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on the horse. I've had some I fed senior feed. Some I just used a middle of the road pelleted feed. I've got a 38 yr old now that is an air fern who is on a real low carb diet.
I worry all the time. My old girl is healthy. No supplements. Lots of fiber.
Her face is grayed. She's lost a little top line but she still will rocket across the field with her tail flagging. She will still kick butt on much bigger horses. So as long as she's well I leave her be.

Oh wow 38!!! I cant let my husband see this...LOL. That is about what im doing. Although there is a lot of grey on him. I guess the senior feeds have come a long way. I cant really let him graze or eat hay because a lot of his teeth are gone and I don't want him to choke. He has the only paddock with grass because he just doesn't bother any more. But if the wind is up his tail he is moving around like a stud...lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My mare is in her mid to late 30's and still going strong! She has Cushing's and is on Pergolide, which unfortunately affects her appetite and causes her to lose interest in her food. She currently eats carb-guard and as much hay as she wants. For supplements, she gets MSM and HA for joints, a digestive aid and vitamin E/selenium because we're in a deficient area.

She had her first tooth removed this summer and her appetite has increased since it healed. She's pretty grey now and has a deep swayback, but she's the most energetic horse at my barn and runs circles around everyone else!

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
My oldest right now is 28. I am feeding Triple Crown Senior, and all the hay he will eat, which is alfalfa right now, because he doesn't like my grass hay. I keep some in front of him in case he decides he wants it.

He has NEVER been a heavy horse, so I do not worry about his topline, and he creaks a bit, but his legs are still really clean. he gets turned out at night, so the horses flies don't eat him, and is in during the day.

Nancy

·
Banned
137 Posts
Theres a 32 year old boy at my boarding barn, and hes used as a little lesson horse and still happily carries them without any pain, and he just gets senior feed.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I'd offer him some hay in a slow grazing net anyway even if he can't chew. With a good slow feed net he won't be able to grab a huge mouthful. They really need the mental comfort it provides. They manage to gummy bear some down anyway.

They also sell chopped up hay but it's kinda pricey. You can get a little chipper/shredder for lawn and garden use and make your own.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My friend soaks alfalfa cubes and does Purina senior feed for her boy. And it seems to be working very well for him. Like your horse equine24, he is missing teeth in the back. He does very well with the soaked cubes, it usually takes him all day to eat his cubes, so he has food in front of him all day. I should add that he is right around 30.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Along with grass hay, we feed Manna Pro Senior. We started out with just supplementing Purina Senior with Calf Manna but he did so well we switched to the Manna Pro Senior which as all the goodies of Calf Manna plus other nutrients for the geriatric gut. He maintains his weight and energy levels like a 10 year old!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts