The Horse Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
<snip>

But with his GC's, he just doesn't stumble. And doesn't take shortcuts around rocky patches, and we got'em.

Not many farriers are not familiar with them, but if yours is and likes them ok, might want to give them a try. They are lighter than steel but much thicker and hold the sole much higher off the ground.

Other than that, I'm with the others for going with pads in the shoes or as you've suggested, back to boots.

If I only rode trails, I'd use boots over shoes.
What are GCs?

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
I will chime in for Hondo, as I bought a pair, and am thinking of having them put on Smilie
They are plastic horse shoes.
I will give you a link

Home

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I will chime in for Hondo, as I bought a pair, and am thinking of having them put on Smilie
They are plastic horse shoes.
I will give you a link

Home
My farrier showed me these once. He likes them.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
If I had to do rocks like those, I would consider the ground controls.
My horse would not like those rocks and I don't think any horse would.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Most years the roads aren't this bad, because they are only re-rocked every 5-15 years, and the big chunks get mashed in over time. But our winter rain was the worst in recorded history, and all the roads suffered to an unprecedented degree, paved and unpaved. So there is new rock everywhere.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
@Avna I am trying to find the "unlike" button. We have one spot that got done that way. It finally has a decent narrow flat spot to ride around the rocks.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
This is the only trail from my barn. It's a logging road. I rode it today. We stay on the verge, which is okay except when the verge is a cliff edge (pretty often). It's really steep out here.

I'm going to haul out to the beach next low tide that's in the middle of the day (in a week or so). Nice and sandy!

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
My farrier showed me these once. He likes them.
In that case I would most definitely try them. One advantage over barefoot and boots is that the breakover can be cut way back where ever you want it. I have used various methods to cut but recently discovered an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc works well.

If there is a lot of mud that is ridden through, they do tend to pack up and not clean out well. Some use Vettec Copper Sulfate packing but I had less than stellar luck with that.

What I have done with this shoeing was to cut out the center strip but leaving the heel attachment strip. Opening up the center has resulted in his collateral grooves self cleaning for the most part with his foot drying out quickly between water crossings which we sometimes do half dozen in a ride.

Last year I was resetting at 4-5 weeks and new at 8-10 weeks. Even at 8-10 weeks they had a lot of wear left. They are made out of material similar to skateboard wheels and are incredibly tough and durable.

And they are very flexible allowing the horse's hoof to flex normally.

Easycare has a few similar sets out with R & R riders right now. Theirs will have a thin metal plate molded within the shoe which will allow an open heel if desired.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
1.5" rock is good for log trucks, bad for hooves. Have not read all replies but my mare is tender footed. I put shoes on in June and they come off in the fall. I wish I knew of a solution but shoes are the thing that work best for us. I have tried all sorts of boots and not been happy with any.
Way back I a former life I did some endurance. It was common practice to paint soles with iodine to harden them. Honestly, I can't say that was a good idea or not but plan to talk to the farrier about it when he is here next.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
@Hondo just bought our first Ground Control shoes they get set in 2 weeks.
@Avna will let you know how they go. We have a tender footed mare and have had tons of rain and our boots are getting sucked off every ride. So we are trying the GC shoes.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
1.5" rock is good for log trucks, bad for hooves. Have not read all replies but my mare is tender footed. I put shoes on in June and they come off in the fall. I wish I knew of a solution but shoes are the thing that work best for us. I have tried all sorts of boots and not been happy with any.
Way back I a former life I did some endurance. It was common practice to paint soles with iodine to harden them. Honestly, I can't say that was a good idea or not but plan to talk to the farrier about it when he is here next.
The horse is shod, but without pads

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
@carshon If mud is that big of a problem I'd be sure to trim the heels and not let them stick out. I'd also use the most rearward nail hole as the back end is very flexible.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts