Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Separating my 2 horses w/o the throwing a fit

so NO i dont mean getting rid of one lol, i have 2 horses who have been together, NEVER separated for 2 years, until i bought the one 2 summers ago, and then bought her old companion last June. the 1 time they were separated we had a lot of rearing, squealing and just the general bucks and bits and trying to run me over. How do i teach them to separate w/o having a severe meltdown? i want to be able to ride w/o worrying about ponying the other, or leaving him home to crash the gate. Plz Help! Thx!:gallop:

·
Registered
690 Posts
You may find that ponying is easier than the work. But it is about making the being together hard, and the apart easy. It will be better if you have 2 people to do this. When the horses are near each other, make them work. You can lunge them, back them, something to make them move. Then you walk them apart from each other until either one starts to act up. This should be relaxing, let them graze or just stand and rest. As soon as either one starts to act up bring them back close again and work them again (this is like for 5 mintues) then rinse and repeat. It takes a lot of repetition to make this go away. Usually the one left carries on. I just ignore that as long as the one I am with is behaving. If I am riding away, once I am out of sight and sound range, the other typically calms down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.