The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to horse ownership . I have two horses now. One is a 13 year old dapple grey mare,(Morgan /Thoroughbred cross ) , and a 16 .year old gelding ( Arabian) rescue . Was under wt. and wormy , one and a half years ago.
Looking good now! They are both together in a one acre pasture , in the summer, and in a 3/4 acre dry lot in the winter. (Water is turned off in Pasture in winter) Under ground fed water trough in dry lot , for winter.
The Mare is fine when riding alone away from her partner, but as soon as you turn in a direction towards home she gets all jiggy , wants to hop , fights the bit , and head bobs . Gets a bit taxing to fight her all the way home. I am only riding her ,twice a week.

She is hot blooded. prone to founder, and was neglected for years , within a herd of eight or 10 horses . I have had her for two years, and have worked with her on ground training and riding with a snaffle bit. when I first got her she would not leave the pasture and trail ride . I have made a lot of progress, but not sure how to keep her calm on the ride home?

I am going to get a vet to check her teeth , to see if they need floating. I am thinking it is more of behavior issue , since it happens mostly on the way home. When she starts acting up , I will stop her, turn her around , from home for a fifty feet or so. She walks on a slack reins , we turn for home and she pulls , Jigs , and even hops sideways . It is very unsettling.
Any training tips would be appreciated ? I really do not have a place to separate them . I could tie her up somewhere out of sight of the gelding? And have done that some. Just not sure if there is a combination of things I could be doing? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most horses act up on there way back home because that is a place they are familiar with and they are happy to be there. My horse is a angel when we leave the house on a ride and no matter how long of a ride we have been on, how cold it is, how hot it is, or how tired she is she knows when were headed home and she starts pulling on the bit, prancing around, and tossing her head. I have to hold back on the reins cause if it was up to her we would run home. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The horse I used to have did this. I was told by an experienced horseperson that I should make her work hard when we get back home and not give treats or feed upon arrival and this would deter her from rushing home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will give it a try. I do not feed or give treats , but usually cool the horse down and groom. Maybe it will help over time. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same trouble last year and had a few lessons to sort it out. The method I was taught is to ride on a loose rein, there is no point fighting your horse. As soon as he goes faster than you want or breaks into a trot circle him in a tight circle, relax yourself, sit deep and tell him 'steady' when he slows down to the speed you want bring him out of the circle on a loose rein and let him walk on. As soon as he speeds up repeat the circling. The first few times you will spend an hour going 100 meters down the road, but eventually it dawns on your horse that he can either walk nicely or do annoying circles.
The thing I really like about this method is that it teaches your horse to calm himself down, if my boy gets a bit excited on the way home I just lean back and say steady without touching the reins and he slows down. Also if you,re worried about him taking off this will make you feel safer as you, are halfway to doing a one rein stop.
You might want to do groundwork first, disengage hindquarterrs and one rein stop so he knows what you want. Also, keep yourself relaxed as of course your tension will communicate to him.Hope this is helpful, has worked really well for me and I'm not a very experienced rider either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Makes sense

This makes a lot of sense . I have done some tight circles, but not spent the time to follow through as long as it takes. I would rather spin in circles all day long , than fight to hold a horse back the whole ride home every time.
Thanks for your input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.