The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hoping for some help. I have a 15 year old QH mare that I moved from NW Arkansas to East Texas. She was healthy in Arkansas but is getting SEVERE seasonal allergies down here in East Texas about mid summer when the grasses come on good. Last year the coughing got so bad I took her to Texas A&M Vet Hospital. They confirmed the severe seasonal allergies, did a trachea wash and put her on steroids; advised me to keep her off the grass, stalled with her head in a hay bag. Sure this might work but she can not be stalled up all the time. I asked about allergy shots and they told me they really were not that affective on horses...as anyone else run into this? Anyone giving allergy shots? Are they working??

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I would research using local honey to help build her immunity. Honey is safe for horses (not sure of the amount though) and I know it's helped me with my plant allergies. People have said it helps their horses. Only local honey would really work well, as it contains traces of the pollen she's being exposed to. I think it'd be worth a try. My gelding gets hives sometimes from the grass and weeds and I'm going to do honey this year if they get bad. I wouldn't get it from the store, as it's processed and looses a lot of its nutritional value.

Reactions: walkinthewalk

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
I would research using local honey to help build her immunity. Honey is safe for horses (not sure of the amount though) and I know it's helped me with my plant allergies. People have said it helps their horses. Only local honey would really work well, as it contains traces of the pollen she's being exposed to. I think it'd be worth a try. My gelding gets hives sometimes from the grass and weeds and I'm going to do honey this year if they get bad. I wouldn't get it from the store, as it's processed and looses a lot of its nutritional value.
^^^^I have heard this many times --- and you DO have to use local honey, if you can find it.

I'm in Southern Middke Tennessee, aka The Basin or as my vet calls it "allergy purgatory", lollol

I used this "Allergy Herbal Blend" for several years with great success. I would start the horse on it just as soon as I saw the purple wildflowers pop out of the ground and keep him on it until sometime in November.

Allergy Herbal Blend - pelletized

It's pricey but it works and the company is great to do business with.

I discovered I no longer needed the herbal blend after I started this same horse on MagRestore for his A.D.D. He was an anxious nervous horse, which the Mag Restore has taken care of --- the added sidebar was it also fixed his seasonal allergy issues but that is not MagRestores primary purpose:)

Diet change also was a big help. I took this horse off all grains and soy -- especially remove soy as the protein source if possible:)

I hope this helps:)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I'm just east of Dallas, TX - allergies affect all living things 24/7/365!

For my allergy ridden horse: preventative Depo-Medrol shot first of March & June, also September if it's been a wet year and there are still green growing things and/or bugs (he's also allergic to bugs, so is on SmartPak BugOff March 1-November.) If possible, keep Dex on hand for immediate relief of hives, but try not to give it too close to Depo shot since both are steroids. Immu-Aid is no longer produced, so I'll be trying out some other allergy meds like Tri-Hist this year. May look at the Herbal Allergy recommended above!

This horse also gets 5cc/week of Vitamin A/E (the injectable cattle kind, but given to the horse orally - drizzle on grain in the winter, straight in his mouth in summer when he's not on grain.) Since maintaining regular Vit A dosage for 3+ years, he no longer gets weeping summer sores on his belly and face and gets minimal "crud" on his former trouble spots along his crest and elbows.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My horse stays outside (with a run-in shed) and Tri-Hist helps him during allergy season. The vet also gave me Dexamethasone, but I really didn't need it with the Tri-Hist.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The local vet in my area does allergy testing and shots. That was offered for my mare, but right now her allergies are mild so i haven't done it. My horse only has problems in the summer so it could be a grass allergy. She is on hay year round and is doing fine. I may try reintroducing grass this summer and monitoring her condition. The vet suggested the grass seed heads with pollen might be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,763 Posts
In addition to the above other users have posted, mowing helps if she is in a large enough area and you can control those seed heads. Local honey can't be filtered to remove the pollen so always ask about whether it is processed or not.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Allergy shots work. I am on them myself and know MULTIPLE horses on them with amazing results. The problem with your mare is the change in area so if you can build up some natural immunity then it should be pretty dramatic. Definitely try it and start now. I agree with the testing.

Meds and such are great but really a last resort esp allergy meds as most are steroids and such. I'd try something like Benedryl before steroids, those are emergency only or extreme cases that really need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.