The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read a post by farmpony84 from last year about the severed tendon injury she experienced. my horse also severed her ddft 2 months ago and we have her on stall rest and bandaging every 3 days. we have not done anything with her as far as special shoes or wrapping the other legs for support. does anyone have any advice for us and how has your horse recovered? our vet has just tried to be positive and says if we don't have really high expectations for her future use, she may be fine.
any information is appreciated! it has been difficult finding info on a completely severed tendon.
we just started walking her a couple weeks ago in the barn. i am very anxious about spring as she has already started getting spring fever and jumping around in her stall!
thank you !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am no expert or vet. This is my experience with this type of issue though..
My friend has a horse who severed a tendon in the right hind leg about 2 years ago. It was very serious and they contemplated putting the horse down at first. They didn't and the horse had surgery to repair the leg. It healed up very very well and there were no complications. They kept her bandaged and on stall rest until things were healed and stitches were out. They started walking her to exercise and strengthen her. They had very low expectations and were planning on either her being lame and having her be a horse for children visitors to their barn and letting her relax in the pasture. She did become strong enough to ride again eventually. They started out very slow with her. She is still used now as a western pleasure horse and take her on trail rides. She does get used once in awhile in 4h type game shows using moderate physical exertion as she does have some stiffness and arthritis in the healed leg. She does get joint supplements though which help. I believe how well the injury heals depends on the age and horse itself. My friends horse was a little older (like upper teens) and so the arthritis would probably be more expected in her.
Maybe to help with spring fever you could walk her outside a little so she can fill her lungs with some fresh air and soak up some sunshine. Maybe tie her up outside when grooming her! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.