• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You probably will have to cuddle afterwards!!

What do you mean by sexing? If you mean detremine what gender they are then yes you look under the tail and count the orifices or look between the legs and count the protruberances.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have heard that too but I didn't dare post it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Foals don't grow into a boy or a girl after they are born if that is what you mean... They are born a boy and stay a boy until they die. Same as a girl. Just like a person....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
haha you can definitely tell! i was hoping for a little girl and then i checked between the legs. my heart sank untill i petted him for the first time and i am totally in love my little boy! trust me lol you can definitely tell. the boys are definitly lacking the vulva and the girls are lacking a little something under neath

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I think you have them confused with chickens. Its hard to tell what a chick is until its older. With most mammals its pretty obvious what sex they are at birth.
IF you asking about choosing the sex pre-insemination via AI, DNA and all the science stuff, I don't think so. not yet

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
IF you asking about choosing the sex pre-insemination via AI, DNA and all the science stuff, I don't think so. not yet
You can control it to some degree but it is not 100%. Depending on when you AI the mare vs. when the semen was collected and when the mare ovulates. I have had some success with it in the past but again not something I would guarantee.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Some mammals it is hard to tell at birth, like rabbits. Even with cats or rats it is hard for an untrained person to tell gender at birth. So the OPs question makes sense.

Horses are more like puppies as far as that goes. It is easy to tell as soon as they are born.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Some mammals it is hard to tell at birth, like rabbits. Even with cats or rats it is hard for an untrained person to tell gender at birth. So the OPs question makes sense.

Horses are more like puppies as far as that goes. It is easy to tell as soon as they are born.
I've never raised rats or rabbits :lol: Kittens I can tell pretty well but your right its more difficult. Horses of course are very easy to determine gender.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are you wondering why we have 3 different 'genders' for horses: mares, stallions, and geldings?
If that is what you are wondering , a gelding is just a stallion that has been fixed, so he can't have babies.
A stallion is a male horse that can have babies.
A mare is a female horse.
Mares can also be fixed but that is very rare, and I don t think they have a name other than mare
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I'll add to your definition
Filly- female horse until they reach the age of 4 or give birth.
Colt-male horse under the age of 4

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I did hear somewhere that they can now separate semen into groups of either X or Y chromosomes and therefore guarantee sex of the foal. Just thought I'd share that. ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think you have them confused with chickens. Its hard to tell what a chick is until its older. With most mammals its pretty obvious what sex they are at birth.
unless its 2 in the am, your running on a full days work and no sleep, and dont double check, then you think you have a chocolate filly untill you catch it peeing, and you know its NOT a filly LOL

Nate

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.