The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guys get fuzzy in the winter, and when it's cold their fur all stands up and they are super fuzzy, but nothing like some of the pictures I've seen posted here recently.

I just love looking at shaggy winter horses! I love how they look like they are part horse, part goat, and part yak. If you have any pictures of your shaggy winter beasts, can you post them here?

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
A shaggy and snowy Rusty trying to make new friends:

Snow Horse Working animal Plant Freezing

And pretending he is a wild stallion while wearing a blanket for the first time this year when temps plunged to about -37C. He does not feel the blanket contributes to his tough-guy image, but it's so cute. Bella, in her fashion-forward otter blanket, is doing her best to ignore the boys and their silliness.

Snow Vertebrate People in nature Tree Gesture

·
Registered
8,498 Posts
When you’re so fuzzy even your face is fuzzy
Horse Head Eye Sky Snow

Hair Horse Head Eye Working animal

note impressively fuzzy ear hair
Hair Horse Sky Snow Eye

Sky Horse Working animal Bridle Window

PS-I forget how bad their manes look until I see pictures 🙈 Because they wear neck covers during sleet or heavy snow, we do have sections that rub. I just leave it for the winter and I promise I’ll deal with it in the spring!

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@SteadyOn wow that looks like Moonshine's "winter coat." You can't tell at all from looking that it's any thicker than her summer coat. When you feel it, you can feel that it's thicker, but it's certainly not any longer than her summer coat.

Reactions: Knave and SteadyOn

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love all the pictures! Especially the ones where people put their hands in their horse's fur. I want to do the same thing to all those fuzzy guys!

Maybe when we move up north my guys will start getting really fuzzy for the winter...

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I have been surprised that even in the tropics, our horses coats change in the cooler months. It’s only down to the high teens and mid twenties (c) right now. Might get a bit lower in late January and February.

Both of ours are slick and shiny in the hot months. Now, they are not shaggy, but certainly scruffy looking.

The cooler weather also corresponds with the dry season. So the scruffy horses go deeper into the brush looking for forage, picking up burrs and such along the way. Pinatubo seems to get scruffier than Skippy.

A scruffy Pinatubo.
Horse Working animal Liver Horse tack Horse supplies

Forelocks full of cockle burrs.
Carnivore Finger Fawn Dog breed Wood

Vertebrate Working animal Dog breed Mammal Gesture

Nice and fluffy again.
Skin Gesture Finger Working animal Liver

Horse Eye Working animal Horse tack Liver

1 - 20 of 24 Posts