The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Alekazam and Horse102...I have to ask how you get your french braids to stay right on the crest! I braid my Friesian's mane for maintenance, but it always angles down towards her shoulder as the braid goes on. (Sorry, I don't have a picture at the moment). Any tips?
I know Alekazam told you how she does it. But another thing is try to stand above the horse. Such as standing on a stool or a bucket. It helps you hold it close to the crest of the horses neck. That's how I make sure that my mares mane is tight to her neck. :)

I'll have to braid my mare's mane and tail this weekend and post some pics :)

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hi Alekazam and Horse102...I have to ask how you get your french braids to stay right on the crest! I braid my Friesian's mane for maintenance, but it always angles down towards her shoulder as the braid goes on. (Sorry, I don't have a picture at the moment). Any tips?
What you want to do is keep your hands up top by the horses crest, don't move them down! It helps to stand on a mounting block or whatever above your horse's neck and braid "upwards" a bit. From this I have learned to braid actually on TOP of the horse's neck... I know some people want to see it on here, have to take a picture sometime.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What a great thread! Beautiful horses and braids everyone.

Thyme - I would definitly braid my mare's mane for an endurance ride in the summer. It will allow for better cooling down. Most of the riders in my region braid the mane for the ride.

I have been really wanting to learn the lattice braid. One of these days I will attempt it.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
braid them and don't brush them too often, I keep detangler in my horse's mane before I brush it, then wait for it to dry and braid. It has conditioner in it as well. But have to wait for his tail to grow, another colt chewed it :(

·
Registered
381 Posts
any suggestions on getting it to grow after a pesky lil colt chewed on them and broke them off? NOTE: The colt has now been sold so he's no longer chewing on them

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Arrrg I had Hunters old pasture mate chew half of his mane off. We ended up giving him a mohawk. I was so mad as he had such a beautiful mane before that. It is still growing in (been a year and a half).

This is pre-chew (he is only 2 here)
26815_382683273079_732348079_3725441_4716662_n.jpg

This is post chew
36032_408385158079_732348079_4336075_7436820_n.jpg

Here are some of the braids over the past couple of years.

7723_132759023079_732348079_2411412_292969_n.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I need some advice on growing hair back after being chewed on as well :(

before:

after:
This thread is about braids. Please start a new thread if you need suggestions on growing a tail out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
subbing :) what do you use for pony tails? i just usually use my own but they always fall out

41 - 60 of 86 Posts