The Horse Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I read all these stories and enjoyed them almost as if I was there with you all.
It's so nice to have these achievements with our horses.
I didn't do much today, I am boarding my horse at an indoor arena this winter so I rode in the arena and then went out into the woods for a nice quiet meander through the woods, it was a nice day and no snow yet. He was very good for a horse that was buddy/barn sour when I got him, he has done this before at home so not sure if it was a real achievement but good for a new place.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
990 Posts
Another one that was a massive milestone for me was the first time I showed our Zim stallion.
I had not planned on showing, so I went to the show later, hubby went on early. I get there, and he's meeting me with hurry up, he's saddled and ready to go! Huh? What??
See, they drew the classes and there was a saddle up in the Ladies class. He'd entered me, and was hoping I'd get there in time!
Now bear in mind, I had only rode Zim on cows once, and nearly played rocket as I came close to leaving on one of his turns!
I did the only honorable thing, I got some folks I knew to agree to pull my poor broken body out of the show arena and prop me up in the shade when I jetted off one of his shoulders.
There was 17 in the class, and I was to ride last. There was trainer's wives on their open horses! And I was so much of a novice, it was scary!! I'd been riding a much older mare at practice! This was an Open stud I was going to be on! YIKES!
Before I know it, it's time. Everyone is telling me "you got this". ROFL! Yeah right!
I make my first cut, and it went pretty good! I actually got to thinking I might survive this!
My second cow was better, I got off right, and just had time enough to chip one off the edge to finish the clock.

I was riding out feeling pretty good! Then they announced I'd won the class!! I won nearly $400 and a brand new saddle!
Well color me happy!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd had my TB Ed only 2 months when I signed up for a 16km trail ride. I'd never ridden on those trails before and wondered how he would be. To my relief and amazement we passed horse aftet horse- just kept forging ahead and if there were scary objects on the trail he would trot past them. We went too far and rode longer than we planned (another option was the 22km ride). It was an out and back ride, and a first on many counts for us. It was exhilarating to complete and trailer back to the barn.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am loving all these stories and so proud of you guys. @livelovelaughride , maybe you already do, but you would most certainly enjoy @egrogan 's journal when she first started taking Izzy out for solo rides. I cheered for her back then, cheer for her now, and cheer for all of you who are enjoying these milestones.

If @BethR celebrated her milestones in Biblical times, mine were back in caveman times. I think some big milestones for me back when men wore skins, were winning ribbons in big shows or championships in smaller shows on horses that I picked out as babies, raised, and trained myself. Another one might have been psyching myself to jump 4 feet regularly. We had mastodon meat to celebrate the first time I jumped 4 feet.
Lol @ “mastodon meat”! I had loaves and fishes 😉

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine happened quite recently! First-ever trail ride farther than like 20 miles from home. I usually ride around our property or down the highway, but this time I was able to get hold of a trailer and go with a friend to a very nice trail. I have to say, her 4-year-old BLM mustang did a lot better than my Nacho when it came to not wanting to race the entire time, but still... That was awesome! Jumped over a few logs, flat out ran through a large prairie-type field, swam in a pond, definitely a ride to remember.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Lot's of milestones for us this past year. I moved myself and my horses (and husband and dog and cats) to the UP last October.
In May I brought my horses home to live in our backyard. I've been dreaming of this day for 10 years (even before I owned them).
We got good at going out solo and leaving the other horse behind.
I got brave and explored a lot of new- to- us trails.
Raven and I rode to Lake Superior and had a picnic on the beach!
My list goes on and on......

21 - 27 of 27 Posts