The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody shave their horses whole body, I am trying to decide if I should shave my horse Dakota. He seems to retain a lot of hair from his winter coat. I am grooming him every other day, and a I am still getting huge clumps of hair off of him from last year. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
14,164 Posts
Do you have current pics? What's your location? I probably would not clip my horse this close to winter, unless he's a show horse and going to be shown extensively throughout the cold months.

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Do you live in the southern hemisphere where you are coming into summer where we in the north of USA/Canada are approaching winter cold?

Shaving the body is called body clipping.
There are many looks to body clipping from leaving different parts of the body covered to clipping the entire body clean of a heavier coat growing in.
If your horse is shedding though, to clip now truly serves no purpose cause they are naturally shedding.
Some elbow grease {effort} applied for about 2 weeks and nearly the entire horse should be shed out.

Now, if you are approaching summer and the horse is not shedding yet then you need to get your vet involved for a evaluation, examination and blood work done to make sure your horse does not have Cushings Syndrome...
So where do you live?
Depending upon that location then you will know what needs done next.

If you decide to body clip the horse please, please make sure you use the blades proper length so your horse is not sunburned by clipping to close nor does the animal get tack sores because of skin irritation of to short a coat of hair left..
There are legitimate, founded reasons why you use certain blades that leave a minimum length of hair or a bit longer...that reason is the health and well-being of your horse so they can be a active riding partner for you from the first day of shortened coat.. :wink:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do you live in the southern hemisphere where you are coming into summer where we in the north of USA/Canada are approaching winter cold?

Shaving the body is called body clipping.
There are many looks to body clipping from leaving different parts of the body covered to clipping the entire body clean of a heavier coat growing in.
If your horse is shedding though, to clip now truly serves no purpose cause they are naturally shedding.
Some elbow grease {effort} applied for about 2 weeks and nearly the entire horse should be shed out.

Now, if you are approaching summer and the horse is not shedding yet then you need to get your vet involved for a evaluation, examination and blood work done to make sure your horse does not have Cushings Syndrome...
So where do you live?
Depending upon that location then you will know what needs done next.

If you decide to body clip the horse please, please make sure you use the blades proper length so your horse is not sunburned by clipping to close nor does the animal get tack sores because of skin irritation of to short a coat of hair left..
There are legitimate, founded reasons why you use certain blades that leave a minimum length of hair or a bit longer...that reason is the health and well-being of your horse so they can be a active riding partner for you from the first day of shortened coat.. :wink:
Very good advise. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere and he still has unshed hair a vet check needs to be done. This is not normal. In the southern brushing would be best for him , it will all shed naturally and have a summer coat ready when the old hair is removed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Utah. I am not planning on body clipping him now going into winter. Dakota has been shedding since the start of spring, and is still shedding now going into winter. His Hair is starting to thicken up again since we are going into winter. But again he is still shedding. had my vet come up for Dakota's fall check up said," your horse is in great shape nothing to really worry about".I am getting a couple hand fulls of hair when ever I brush him. I am using a basic brush on him right now . typically I use a curry comb on him in the spring, and when I am competing. Dakota has never been body clipped before.

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
First off, it is natural that a horse shed a bit year round.
When you comb/brush your hair daily you lose a few hairs is natural...same for the horse.
You also are have a change of coat thing happening.
Sleek, summer coat goes as a thicker coat arrives....and shed they do throughout the change.
Your horse has actually been shedding steadily since mid-June when we had the last longest day of sunlight, we just don't notice till we hit the seasons change and suddenly you think the animal shall go bald.
Let the coat grow in naturally..
Keep brushing so you stimulate the hair follicles and the natural oils the coat makes for a beautiful shine and softness.
If, if you ride enough in winter the horse is a soggy, wet, sweaty mess then is when you contemplate doing some creative body clipping...
But remember...if you take away {body clip} that animals protection given by Mother Nature then it is your responsibility to replace it with blankets of varying weights and changed often to give the animal the protection to stay warm and healthy as Mother Nature intended that winter woolies coat to do.
Till you have a problem of sweating and not drying in a very reasonable time, I would not clip the animal.
Regardless, if you plan to ride this winter and your climate gets cold and windy invest in a nice cooler so the animal not get drafts and chill as they dry after a ride...
OR...
Take the time after your ride to walk your horse dry coming in from a long trail-ride or ring adventure...a slow easy ride back to the barn will allow the horse to naturally dry, then you just need to protect the damp back where your saddle sits as that area dries off so no chill to the muscles that can be uncomfortable to the horse.
Enjoy your soon to be fur-baby....
"Cold weather" was a favorite time of the year to me to stuff my nose in their fuzzy neck and breathe deeply...the scent of warm horse{sigh, sheer bliss!}
:runninghorse2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I mean handfuls of hair i mean like 20 full hand fulls every time I am brushing him even with a plain bush just to get dust off of him. that started in March, and still to this day I am still getting that much hair off of him going into winter here in Utah. This is Dakota in 1 month ago.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
I think you are just caught in seasonal coat changes...
March they are shedding their winter coats and depending upon your states weather he could of been late shedding.
Now your horse is doing the coat change again of losing summer and getting fuzzies for winter warmth.

In July my horses were actively shedding their summer coats and growing in their winter coats...so realistically there has been no not shedding this year.
Currently our temperatures her in Florida are still in upper 80's - mid 90's and humid...my horses sweat profusely to say the least.
But they are being prepared for winter weather to arrive by Mother Nature...

Is your horse from this area and lived here in captivity for long if he is a Mustang by chance?
Sometimes coming from another location can throw a animals internal time-clock synced accurately off-kilter...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he was born here in utah, and has never been out of state unless we are competing or going on a trail riding trip

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
I can only tell you my horses are doing the same.
Shedding clumps but also a thickening coat still arriving.
Our weather has been crazy with our temps in the upper 80's yet and near oppressive humid its going to put the endocrine system in a tailspin of do we shed for heat or grow it in for cold...........
My horses sweat profusely and spend large amounts of time under the barn for sun protection & that also helps the horrible flies we have right now too.

I can't tell you if your horse has a endocrine system problem, could be...might not be either.
If you truly can't stand it, call the vet and have bloods drawn for a complete blood chemistry, a physical exam and anything else the vet needs to tell you a answer to why such a shed is occurring.
The vet may be able to tell you with a look, or not...
But having the vet come and do the work needed for definitive proof of a problem or not is the only way you are going to get peace of mind.
Not cheap to do chemistries depending upon how large a study they put in for...but still it costs just to have the vet arrive.
To me, sometimes its worth it to be told "you're not the only one..."
That peace of mind that your horse is shedding because of the unusual weather conditions is worth it or to be told, "good thing we checked we found...." is worth $$ spent.
Those decisions are yours to make.
Take into account how thick that coat and how much your weather has fluctuated and indeed it could be something or nothing...
I offer you good luck... but at this time of the year and without a trunk full of blankets and being a mother hen to switching them around continuously I would leave him be from the clippers doing their deed right now.
jmo...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts