The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I had my vet come out due to swelling on one side of the sheath and infront of it, it came down to just needing a cleaning and the next day the swelling was gone. I saw this morning that the exact same swelling was back is it possible he needs to be cleaned again already?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I’ve read of instances in which insect bites cause swelling of the sheath. Is it possible that the first swelling went down on its own and he was bitten again?
I’ve never owned a gelding so others may be better qualified to reply though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have three geldings. I have one who needs cleaning much more often than the other two. Depending on the age of the gelding and whether or not he drops completely to pee, he could be getting gunky up in there. He could have an allergic reaction to something he laid down in or walked through. Could have been bitten or stung. On a
more serious side, a consistently swollen sheath can also be a sign of Cushings. There’s just a whole laundry list of things it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Be careful of overcleaning a sheath. My neighbor had a gunky one and kept cleaning it. That caused a whole lot of problems of several years of expensive treatments to get it back right.

This is from the website "Horse and Man" from the American Association of Equine Practitioners

"Not only is sheath cleaning unnecessary, it can often be harmful. The traditional method of poking a hose up into the sheath and scrubbing it and the penis with sponges and antibacterial soap removes the natural protective covering and healthy bacteria population, potentially causing microabrasions and sores."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve read of instances in which insect bites cause swelling of the sheath. Is it possible that the first swelling went down on its own and he was bitten again?
I’ve never owned a gelding so others may be better qualified to reply though.
When swelling appeared the first time and the vet came out she also thought of a bite or sting so he got a shot incase, so when the swelling went down I’m not sure if it was truly from needing cleaned or the shot to stop the swelling, however he has been in a stall the past few days due rainy weather

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
How much exercise is this gelding doing?

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
It could be a number of things. Lack of movement. Not extending to pee. Bug bites. Could be a type of cancer starting, I had a gelding with cancer up in the pocket. I would put something on the side of the sheath to repel insects. Maybe even just cold hose the outside.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
1. One of my geldings can’t stand to be itchy; if he thinks he’s going to itch, he either starts biting himself or looking for something to rub against.

If he has a bug bite on his sheath, I have seen him bite himself until he’s bloody. I keep a thin layer of diaper rash cream on him to keep the flies off.

2. Puffy sheaths can also be an early indicator Cushings but the puffiness is generally uniform, not just in one spot.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
More than likely it is edema from standing around. If he's no longer lame, light, regular exercise will eliminate the swelling. However, if it gets worse, then you must consult a vet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts