The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for thoughts and experiences with the ShelterLogic 12x12 corral panel shelters for 1-2 horses.

Building Window Tent Tints and shades Shade

I am also considering the 12 x 20 foot shelter, but I am not sure that I love the idea of them having as much access to the sides without a barrier, and the idea of it being a tunnel where one horse could trap another horse at the back. They advertise it as being appropriate for horses as well as general storage.

Rectangle Shade Tent Wood Tarpaulin

I live in an area where it can get pretty cold and windy in the winter, so I want them to have shelter on three sides when turned out. I am also considering the Menrads post frame kits, but that might be a couple of years down the road once I recover from the cost of clearing land, putting up fence, and getting my barn ready.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
We use a shelter logic garage in a box to store extra hay. We have had great luck with them. The corral with the cover I have seen blow over in my area but people do use them. The one thing to note with the fully covered shelters is that they are fairly flimsy so if you did use as an animal shelter it may be best to line the walls with something to protect the canvas. We get 2 or 3 years out of each cover and can purchase replacements on Amazon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We use a shelter logic garage in a box to store extra hay. We have had great luck with them. The corral with the cover I have seen blow over in my area but people do use them. The one thing to note with the fully covered shelters is that they are fairly flimsy so if you did use as an animal shelter it may be best to line the walls with something to protect the canvas. We get 2 or 3 years out of each cover and can purchase replacements on Amazon.
I would for sure be anchoring mine down as I did come across some pictures of ones blown over while doing google searches.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I would for sure be anchoring mine down as I did come across some pictures of ones blown over while doing google searches.
Even with the anchors they blow over. The kits come with anchors that you screw into the ground. If the ground is soft those anchors pull out (don't ask me how I know!)

·
Registered
7,920 Posts
It's really windy and plenty of snow in the winter where we live. People get about one winter season out them as a temp shelter until they can build a permanent.

Reactions: carshon
1 - 5 of 5 Posts