The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive always been taught that mini horses and shetlands were the same thing.whats the diffrence in them?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
shetlands are a natural, scottish breed and still live wild in shetland (i think- or part wild). Miniture horses are smaller and probably decended from shetland. i think it is the same concept that TBs are decended from arabs. I dont know a lot about it but I know they are different. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which ones are those itty bitty ponies?are they miniature or shetland?i mean these things are tiny!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no i think they are minis.they have very short legs.they are bigger than fellabellas though.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
This is a sheltie.(My baby, Moonie!) moonie.JPG They can be much larger than minis, Moonie was around 9h.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Miniatures have to be 38" or smaller. Some horses are registered as BOTH American Shetlands and Miniature horses, but they have to be shetlands who happen to be under 38".

Falabellas are NOT a breed. They are a BLOODLINE of Miniature horses from the Falabella farm in Argentina.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Falabellas are NOT a breed. They are a BLOODLINE of Miniature horses from the Falabella farm in Argentina.
I just learned something new! I had no idea. I always thought they were their own breed. Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shetlands are considered ponies, but minis are considered horses because they are put together more like a horse than a pony.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Shetlands are a breed of pony whereas minis are actually a miniature form of big horses. As CheyAut said, minis have to be under 38" but shetlands can get much taller.

which ones are those itty bitty ponies?are they miniature or shetland?i mean these things are tiny!
do you mean like this?? if so, minis :)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.