The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a video thread of my new horse, Shiloh, but I wanted to post these pictures, too. He just came to my house yesterday, but he and my mare Ginger are already BFFs.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Were these 2 rescues?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
^ that was what I was wondering. Looks like these girls could use some major groceries!

Reactions: Hidalgo13

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, neither are rescues. Well, Shiloh WAS, but he's been a year+ out of the impound. The top picture is just a bad angle, I think. Now, when I got Mellow, HE was super skinny and in need of some groceries.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
They bth look like they could use alittle bit of weight. (Not trying to sound nasty)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn't posting this for critique on my horses' weight. Do you guys think I don't know what they look like? I was posting this because I was excited that Shiloh fit in so well with my herd, and already had a buddy after one day, but all anyone can see is that they need a little weight. Sorry that I can't get out there everyday with a bucket of grain with a one year old son in tow and make sure that it gets eaten by the horses that need it, and not those who don't. I just don't have the time or the ability to do that. They have 11 acres of lush, green pasture to eat at between the three of them (and up until now it was only two). When my friend dropped of Shiloh, she admitted that he was looking a little ribby, but that he's an easy keeper. Just... ugh. Leave it alone, okay? Way to make me feel like a bad horse owner. Bad enough that both Ginger and Mellow's feet are separating because of all the rain we've had, now I have total strangers telling me that I need to freaking feed my horses. You don't know my story, and you don't know the situation.

I realize you guys are just trying to help, but you have to realize how hurtful it is to say to someone "Wow, your horse looks skinny! You need to feed him!" Especially when I'm shelling out every last penny I have to make sure they're cared for. Especially when I personally rehabilitated one that was in fact in bad shape.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mean, the only three comments I've gotten here are regarding their weight. Not one person offered any sort of congrats. I've noticed the people only comment on two sorts of pictures-- extremely gorgeous horses, or extremely sad horses, and apparently my two fall under the second category. Well, you guys won't see me around here any more. The horse people that actually know me in real life aren't so quick to judge.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Woah ok. Back up two steps.
A. None of us were rude OR mean
B. if we see something, were going to say it. Alot of us don't beat around the bush, sorry.

All we mentioned was that they looked like they could use a few extra pounds. So I'm going to save the breath and not get into it but good luck. They're beautiful horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
OP I'm sorry if we came off as nasty to you, but I assure you we're nothing but concerned. Notice that we asked before jumping on you about anything....I merely wanted a little backstory as to why they might be so ribby in the summer. Older horse? New? Change in feed? Extreme heat? In no way was I accusing you of abuse. I also have no way of knowing whether or not you DO feed your horses, nor do I know if you're a teenager, a busy mom, an elderly woman, or a business woman. So I asked about the horses.

Believe me, I KNOW how hard it is to get the picky eaters and/or 'low man' horses to gain weight. I have one myself and its taking a LOT of work and thought on my part to keep her from being too thin as she recovers from severe neglect and tries to grow. Part of the responsibility of owning animals though, is sacrificing for them if we have to, in order to care for them.

Do I think your horses are suffering and dying of emanciation? Absolutely not. Do I understand being EXTREMELY busy and feeling overwhelmed? You'd bet I do. Do I think your horses could use a little extra something. Maybe not even grain, so you don't HAVE to go out there and hold their food for them...maybe just some round bales of hay to supplement the grass or something. Or its possible you already have those. Like I said...I don't know you from Joe so its hard to say! I'm not pointing fingers, I'm suggesting. You don't have to take my advice ;)

The horses are beautiful either way though.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Don't take it as everyone being harsh, we just get concerned. We all mean well. They are beautiful, and I'm glad they are all getting along well. I do hope they will be able to gain some weight to get in better health, but good luck to you! We all wish you the best.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I got so defensive. I'm not normally like that. I know you guys are just curious, and I probably would be too.

I suppose it all boils down to a little jealousy that posts with vanners or clydes or "pretty" horses get posts and replies that go on for days, and all I want is for someone to think mine are pretty too lol. I've just got plain old normal horses, but I think they're lovely (all though, I'm not going to lie, I would kill to have a clyde)

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Pretty horses aren't anything without personality, and unfortunately personality isn't always conveyed just through pictures ;)

My yearling is darned ugly, and I'm the first to admit it. It isn't her fault, but I doubt if no one on her knew her story that she would get even a second glance, unless it was to ask 'What is WRONG with that animal?!' Doesn't mean she isn't an amazing horse though!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
You did a wonderful job getting weight and muscle on Mellow. I have no doubt the other 2 will be perfectly fine as well, just need some grazing time.

its great that Shiloh is fitting in. What does Mellow think of him?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did a wonderful job getting weight and muscle on Mellow. I have no doubt the other 2 will be perfectly fine as well, just need some grazing time.

its great that Shiloh is fitting in. What does Mellow think of him?
Posted via Mobile Device

I was terrifically surprised. Shiloh stayed in his own pasture the first night, and then I let him in with the others the next morning. I was expecting getting to watch my horses run through the pasture, but I got nothing. Shiloh trotted around a bit, and then they all went to grazing. No fireworks, no squeals, nothing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts