The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete novice when it comes to shipping horses. Any horse we have gotten out of state was generally in a state conjoined to ours. But we recently, we always meaning I, fell in love with a pair of horses that are quite a good distance away. I've ogled at horses from other states before but I realized that I was in a state of insanity to think I'd drive 15 hours to get the ******. Add in driving that far and the horse being a crap shoot, well, I just don't know how it would be worth it.

But now I have gotten myself into an interesting position once again. Years ago I met a wonderful filly who just blew my mind with how fabulous she is. Now, in my search for a stud colt, I veered back to the same farm where this filly resides. The stud colt I have more or less settled on and that filly are of outstanding bloodlines, and I could get a very good deal on them. Talented, and exactly what I aim to breed. The only catch is, again, they are on the other side of the country. I have made the twenty four hour (one way, mind you!) drive and I am not sure I could do it again.

So the question stands, can shipping be an "affordable" way to do it in comparison to hauling yourself and more so my question is if you share the trailer with a few other horses will it be cheaper? The breeder has a reputable hauler who has hauled for her in the past. There is also someone who is looking to buy a colt off of her and shipping it up a few states away. I was almost thinking if meeting the hauler half-way might ease our pocket book?

Don't get me mistaken, I am plenty aware that this entire process will be a good deal of a financial undertaking, but I am looking for ways to make the process go smoothly, safe, AND be "affordable". Air quotes because unless you are a millionare it is never easy to tear thousands from your bank account, but I hope I am well received on this whole affordability deal. Horses are an investment, albeit not always wise but when you've been bitten by the horse bug it isn't hard to re-invest. :wink: Thank you all for your pending responses. :)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Well, I went a couple of states away to get a horse & donkey-it was 10 hours each way. I had bought the pair sight unseen, except for pictures,& did not even ride the mare before putting her in the trailer. It is not something I ever want to do again, but it was worth it. Keep in mind, though I'm a senior-went alone & I'm no longer fond of driving, especially w/a trailer on winding mountain roads & in a truck I haven't driven in over a year.

Twenty-four hours? I definitely would think about at least partial shipping-most of those big vans are pretty nice on the horse accomadations-maybe after a short break/overnight break, you could do the last eight hours or so? If it's in your budget, though just being ready to receive them at the end of a long trip, might be the easiest for all concerned.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Whenever I move my horse more than about 5 or so hours I get it done by a transport company (hauler). For shorter ones sometimes I'll just hire a car and float and do it myself.

It's cheaper and generally easier on everyone. For a trip of that length I'd imagine a reputable transporter would break that trip into at least four days with three overnight stops at stables with feed etc. You could do it yourself, but losing lets say two or three days driving there plus four days coming back, just the amount of lost wages would be far more in cost. If you got accommodation, and ate out most meals your living costs would be quite high, as well as paying a premium for overnight rest stops for your horse (companies have good deals).

I've had pretty good experiences, generally what I have paid has equaled out around $1 per kilometre, although it should be cheaper where you are as the fuel is much cheaper. I'm about to get my horse transported 600km (which will include one overnight rest stop) then trucked on a boat across a 500km stretch of nasty water (which includes a rest night either side and the 12 hours boating is over night) and then trucked another 100km or so to where I live now :) All this is only like $900! To me it's an absolute bargain, when I think of all the time it will take and all the overnight stops I would have to organise and all the stress!

Find a reputable company though. It's often going off the beaten track that raises the prices, so if you live a bit out of town have it delivered to somewhere central and then take it home yourself. Most transport seems to be of racehorses, so if you're on a main destination or nearish one it should be pretty affordable getting your horse over.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just finished an almost 2000 mile haul to get our new gelding. I've bought sight unseen and long distance before. My main tip is to only buy from reputable breeders/sellers. I search and research the seller/breeder's reputation and try to see as many pictures ad videos of the horse as possible. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Reputable shippers have told me in the past that so long as the horse gets adequate rest (a few hours) it's safest to keep the horse loaded. Though, I only haul horses in box stall type set ups. My last trip my gelding was in the trailer for nearly 20 hours. We stopped halfway and let him rest for 3-4 hours.

I could see needing to unload in a trip that was much longer than 20 hours however a 15 hour trip shouldn't be that hard for your average horse to manage. That's been my experience at least. I don't like trusting my horses to haulers.

·
Registered
259 Posts
We used Brooksledge in December to haul our horse from Illinois to Oklahoma. I thought it was very reasonable. They also shipped her from Chicago out to California and back last year. They use a full size semi and she was very comfortable with stops every 3 hours to walk her. I want to say that trip was close to $2000 one way. But it was $700 or so from Illinois to Ok. We would've paid for gas, a hotel and food round trip for us to do it, and I don't think we could have done it cheaper. They were VERY good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.