The Horse Forum banner

Shoeing! What type and why?

989 9
What types of shoes does your horse/horses wear and why?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
My dad's mare has O bars that are made for her as she has navicular. Without shoes, she's short- not lame, just short.

With these she isn't so much on the toe and therefore not short and can be ridden.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My gelding and stallion are both barefoot... They both have rock hard feetsies.

My mare wears front shoes, flats only because she slides with caulked shoes. She has to wear front shoes due to tenderness issues that she's always had, but when I'm not riding her every day or every other day, I can let her go barefoot for a few extra weeks or so.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Ordinary shoes on the fronts, some variety of expensive corrective shoes on the rears due to a very badly bruised foot.

My farrier is talking about maybe eggbars during his next shoing. He wants to come watch me ride him and then he's going to change things up, he wants to see if he can better balance my guy out a bit.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Mudpie wears size 1 regular iron horse shoes in the front with leather rim pads because he's a tenderfoot. And size 0 regular iron horseshoes in the back. :)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
all 3 of mine are barefoot, When I got my OTTB she had plain front shoes which I pulled and she was 100% sound from the moment I took them off. The appy I got 2 weeks later came shod all around, also with regular shoes, took his off within a few weeks(since the farrier had been out the day after I got my OTTB) He also never took a lame step. My old guy has been barefoot pretty much the whole 14 years I've had him with the exception of a few times, he never needed them tho.

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
After 4 years of below par shoeing jobs, leg circulation problems and poor gaits, my horse went barefoot. No shoes, happy horse. Legs no longer puff up like tree stumps and he floats around the ring after only 17 days of being barefoot.

If I had to choose a shoe, I liked the eventers since they offered breakover in every direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.