The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little mare has really good feet but I have really started working her alot more undersaddle,a nd will be hacking her out adn startingto show her in april, Do you think I should put front shoes on? She isnt tender but would it be better, I havea great farrier who doesnt cost that much to shoe so I wouldnt be really paying big bucks, as I did for my other are when I had her at a Hunter Jumper barn and shoes cost 180.00 each time, it just about killed me. Let me know what you think. THANKS!:shock:

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I would get shoes on now so that the hoof is in good shape when you start showing.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks, just front ones? I wil talk to my trainer about it more, but I was thinking the same thing but if didnt have to spend the little extra then id be happy, I hada really easy keeper morgan cros mare who never needed shoes and I showed her for 4 years and she did just fine but with my TB I feel its different.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I know! Don't morgans have the greatest feet? I really have nothing to say about your decision,though. I like barefoot but some horses need shoes forever/for a while/for a season/for shows....... So just ask your trainer and take the advise from people on here!

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I keep all my show horses shod all year around unless they are not being ridden. Takes to much to get the foot back then it dose to just leave the shoes on. Now when I am starting one back from being off I normally just put rear shoes on after a month or so of working then after about anouther month but fronts on sooner if needed.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
Ask your farrier if she needs shoes. Most are honest and will give you the benefit of their knowledge.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Ask your farrier if she needs shoes. Most are honest and will give you the benefit of their knowledge.
I agree. Personally I don't think any horse should "need" shoes unless a show association requires it.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Yep I'd ask your farrier. Personally I wouldn't shoe a horse unless I absolutely have to. TB's are notorious for having bad feet, but if your girl has god nice solid hooves and is not tender, I wouldn't shoe. Do you ride her in a sand arena or soft ground? If so, doing more ridden work shouldn't mean that you need shoes on her unless you're riding over hard/rocky ground on a regular basis. Shoes are just a pain in the backside. My dad's old TB just got new shoes put on (he is increadibly foot sore without them) and within 2 days he had pried a front off on a fence. My farrier is on holidays, I can't get another shoe on him for at least a week = no riding and horse on bute.
Definately no shoes is so much easier!!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I agree. Personally I don't think any horse should "need" shoes unless a show association requires it.
Do any show associations actually require shoes? Honestly, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but, thought I'd ask...Lol!

To the OP, I'll be perfectly honest, unless your mare 'needs' the shoes, because she chips, or otherwise has poor feet, I wouldn't shoe her. Shoes constrict the natural blood flow to the foot, so I always opt to be without them unless they really need them.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Do any show associations actually require shoes? Honestly, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but, thought I'd ask...Lol!

To the OP, I'll be perfectly honest, unless your mare 'needs' the shoes, because she chips, or otherwise has poor feet, I wouldn't shoe her. Shoes constrict the natural blood flow to the foot, so I always opt to be without them unless they really need them.
Yep, the frogs on a horses hoof act like shock absorbers/blood pumps. When they make contact with the ground, they help to pump blood back up the leg. Shoes generally prevent the frogs from making contact with the ground and often the condition of the frog will deteriorate due to this.
Shoes have their place, but i don't think they are necessary unless the horse really does need them. When i did pony club as a kiddy, all the girls were so obsessed with being as good as the next, shoes were deemed as 'cool' and if your horses didn't have shoes you were obviously not as good as the girl that had a horse with shoes. Same deal with clipping!

I was competing a lovely WB at state level dressage competition on varying degrees on ground and she had never had a shoe on her. She coped beautifully and was not foot sore at all, where as many of the shod horses were suffering hoof soreness by the second day of competition. I also know plenty of FEI dressage competitors that do not shoe their horses and they ride on a national level.
If these people can ride at a high level of dressage without shoes, I'm sure your mare will cope just fine doing a couple of little local shows with no shoes ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unless your horse NEEDS them, why put them on? My guy had fronts on most of his life, bought him realized he didn't need them so pulled them and we show and jump just fine. Only time I would consider putting them back on is if we started eventing more, which we won't as we barely show now a days..

·
Registered
436 Posts
Every horse I've brought home that had been kept shod, had to have shoes due to soreness. I recently gifted my last OTTB to a little girl, but prior to, he was set in the pasture barefoot to "harden up." (In southeast Kansas, we've got 3ft of soft topsoil)

I'm the same as most opinions on here, shod horses are generally sore horses. If her feet get icky from the work you're doing to prepare for the show, either get her shod for the show and take them off in 2 or 3 weeks, or just have your farrier give her a nice trim/shape up a few days before.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
It is not an association deal as much as an Discipline deal.

As to the OP. I personally shoe all my horses who I show. However that is a needed things for the type of showing I do more then a horse thing.

However even is soft sand they can and do where their feet down quite a bit. Sand if very very abrasive so depending on how much you ride how hard and where will be more of an indicator of needing shoes then anything. Best bet is to get a good farrier talk to them when they are out. Get them out on a regular bases and let them help you make an educated decision. No one on a web forum who has never seen your horse or their feet. Who do not know how you ride how the horse moves and such can give you the correct advice you need. Only opinions and what they do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A good Ferrier is worth his weight in Platinum. Find one and listen to his advice. There are way too many variables for anyone to offer an informed opinion.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I'm the same as most opinions on here, shod horses are generally sore horses.

That's completely untrue!! From what I have seen most horses that are left barefoot are not left barefoot properly and THEY are the ones that are sore.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
, shod horses are generally sore horses. .
I agree with Kevin, that is totally untrue. My guys are shod most of the time because they need it with their work load and the winter traction.
Shod or bare they are sound.
I have seen barefoot horses at the barn , barefoot all their lives and only by shoing did they become sound. I give the first shoing free and if it fixes the horse I have a new customer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.