The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, as some of you may know if you've seen my other posts, I lease what is probably the only western friesian in the world :p

Anyways, her owner is quite a bit taller than me (more accurately, I'm quite a bit shorter than her and most others) and so even on the shortest hole the stirrups are still too long for me by probably two holes worth at least.

I know with English stirrups you can wrap the leathers around the irons to make them shorter, and I can't see any such way with western stirrups but was hoping that maybe someone had a trick I hadn't though of. I don't know how much her owner would be inclined to punch new holes into her stirrups for me since I'm only half leasing her. :oops:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What I have done with my kids when we just cannot go any higher is use vet wrap and put a block of wood in the stirrup to make it shorter. Make sure your foot can get out of the stirrup quickly, I have used up to two inches of wood. Since your sharing a saddle maybe your could buy your own set of stirrups that you could put on the saddle when you ride.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I have done with my kids when we just cannot go any higher is use vet wrap and put a block of wood in the stirrup to make it shorter. Make sure your foot can get out of the stirrup quickly, I have used up to two inches of wood. Since your sharing a saddle maybe your could buy your own set of stirrups that you could put on the saddle when you ride.
Oooh the wood with vetrap is a good idea! That way I could probably take it off each time I go. She just put new stirrups that are wider and taller to accommodate winter boots, but mine aren't very big so I'm sure I could still get my foot out of them. I'm gonna try that before spending money on new stirrups if I don't have to.

Thanks a lot for the tip! :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
If she has chunky tall stirrups by just getting a pair of smaller, shorter stirrups you should gain at least one hole.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would first ask the owner if you could add extra holes before you get too carried away. Maybe offer to have it done professionally at a saddle shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Maybe look for a good used saddle that would fit the horse? Then you could do what you want and if you get it at a good price you could probably get your money back when you no longer need it. I'm thinking with such a size difference between you and the owner, her saddle might not be a great fit for you anyway.
This would not be the cheapest solution but you might give it some thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.