The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

If you’ve read a previous post of mine you’ll know I’ve been having some saddle fitting woes. I’m on my third saddle trying to find something that fits my horse and I. I have a Hereford and the fenders are just shy of fitting me but they’re a little long. I’ve pulled them up as far as they can go.

To avoid having to have the fenders shortened, I’m wondering if I can just get shorter stirrups - like the actual stirrup, the part your foot goes in. The ones that came with the saddle measure just under 6” height. Is there a standard height for western stirrups? I’ve tried searching for “shorter western stirrups” with not much luck, since a lot of them seem to not even have the height measurement listed, only the tread width. Is there a certain type of western stirrup that typically might have a shorter height? I have a very small foot and the oversized looking stirrups are pretty large. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
27,073 Posts
I like the aluminum stirrups. They are shorter and lighter. The fenders really don't cost that much to adjust though. At least - the guy I went to didn't charge me much at all when he did one of my saddles.

·
Super Moderator
27,073 Posts
I would contact a saddle shop. I think it might be cheaper just to shorten the fenders.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You might consider oxbows. They are round, take some getting used to, but they are shorter. I have them on my Hamley Association saddle. I like them.

Reactions: bsms

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
I am now a stirrup snob, love handmade wood ones, nothing looks right on a Bob's saddle but those and nothing feels better! Nettles on the Sapergia reiner and
Orrell on the Bob Avila. Pretty sure both those makers will custom make a set to your specifications.
Dress Window Human body Wood Door
Working animal Grey Horse tack Bicycle saddle Fawn

Reactions: Zimalia22 and bsms
1 - 6 of 6 Posts