The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 3 year old OTTB mare less than a month ago and she is sweet as can be. I haven't ridden her yet since she is so young and I believe she deserves time to just relax in the pasture and grow up before I start any significant training with her. She is sound, no sensitivity to the area in question, no signs or scars showing past trauma, the area has not worsened since I got her and she has no history of injury or lameness that I have been made aware of. She raced approximately 2-3 races in total. Any thoughts on her isolated muscle atrophy? No other muscle atrophy noted. Should I be concerned? Any recommendations for improvement?

Thank you in advance!
Horse Plant Working animal Liver Tree

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a really old gelding with ribs showing since he was young i dont think you have anything to be worried ab and if you still dont know maybe talk to an equine vet . My horse with hes ribs being quite prominent doesnt eeally concern me as vets and farriers have seen and said its nothing to be worried about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a really old gelding with ribs showing since he was young i dont think you have anything to be worried ab and if you still dont know maybe talk to an equine vet . My horse with hes ribs being quite prominent doesnt eeally concern me as vets and farriers have seen and said its nothing to be worried about.
I’m not worried about her weight so much. That will come with time and good supplements. I’m more curious about the muscle depression near her front leg - the area I circled.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Could it possibly be sweeney? I have only known one horse with sweeney, and that was an Amish horse who pulled a cart for years, bought by the jousting crew I worked with one summer. The horse I knew had no problems with the sweeney and was sound, but clearly the Amish sold her. The sweeney I was familiar with did not look like your horse's indentation, but I really don't know much about sweeney.

Sweeney in Horses: What Is It? - Kentucky Equine Research (ker.com)

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,266 Posts
Looks pretty shallow to me. Maybe from an old kick or something? An old, healed hematoma from a kick could cause a dent in the muscle or altered skin adhesion in a spot, without having scars on the skin itself. I probably wouldn't be too worried about it, personally.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It looks superficial enough to not be concerning. It could either be scarred connective tissue just beneath the skin or muscle atrophy of the thin cutaneous muscle (which is just responsible for twitching away flies and nothing else), neither of which would be concerning or affect the actual "working" muscles in any way.

I knew a few horses with similar patterns on certain areas of their body and there were never any associated problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks pretty shallow to me. Maybe from an old kick or something? An old, healed hematoma from a kick could cause a dent in the muscle or altered skin adhesion in a spot, without having scars on the skin itself. I probably wouldn't be too worried about it, personally.
Im thinking the same. My vet is coming out next month for vaccine so I will mention it to her then but just needing reassurance. Thank you 😊

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it possibly be sweeney? I have only known one horse with sweeney, and that was an Amish horse who pulled a cart for years, bought by the jousting crew I worked with one summer. The horse I knew had no problems with the sweeney and was sound, but clearly the Amish sold her. The sweeney I was familiar with did not look like your horse's indentation, but I really don't know much about sweeney.

Sweeney in Horses: What Is It? - Kentucky Equine Research (ker.com)
I’m not very familiar with Sweeney either but from the research I have done the location is off. 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
My horse Red is missing some muscle from the upper most part of his left front leg. Breeder told me he was kicked by another horse as a yearling, and ripped the muscle off. Vet tried to stitch it back on but it didn't take. Does not seem to bother him in the slightest.

Not sure if this is the best photo to show it but you can see a strange divet.
Can kind of see it on this photo too.

Your horse definately has strange atrophy. But makes me wonder if it is some sort of old injury?? Doesn't look like it should bother him. That's a pretty heavy muscle area.

·
Registered
49,767 Posts
odd sort of divets on her, like something the legs of the sofa leave in a thick carpet.

But, she is really, really pretty and her legs look clean , her hind is amazing and her face is adorable. how can you not find her irresistible?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My horse Red is missing some muscle from the upper most part of his left front leg. Breeder told me he was kicked by another horse as a yearling, and ripped the muscle off. Vet tried to stitch it back on but it didn't take. Does not seem to bother him in the slightest.

Not sure if this is the best photo to show it but you can see a strange divet.
Can kind of see it on this photo too.

Your horse definately has strange atrophy. But makes me wonder if it is some sort of old injury?? Doesn't look like it should bother him. That's a pretty heavy muscle area.
odd sort of divets on her, like something the legs of the sofa leave in a thick carpet.

But, she is really, really pretty and her legs look clean , her hind is amazing and her face is adorable. how can you not find her irresistible?
Oh she is definitely irresistible and a sweetheart ❤

1 - 12 of 12 Posts