The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a part of Nevada where it gets pretty cold but hardly snows. Right now it has been cold and snowing for about 48 hours straight and the wind is starting to pick up. They live in a medium sized pen where mud puddles easily form and stay for days even with sunny weather and have no shelter but few bare trees overhanging. They are all quarter horses at ages 10, 11, and 21 who are used to the cold but not the snow.

My question is should I blanket them now even though they are still cold and wet or would it do more harm than good? All I have are waterproof heavy duty winter blankets.

Thank you!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do they have hay and water? Are they all with each other? Are they shivering? Have they been clipped? I'm not try to be rude with all these question. Just want to know. We here had snow and it's cold but mine are fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Should be fine.

Alright cool. I think they should be fine in my opinion. :D:wink: And that's so cool your riding your horse bridless!!!

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
My blanketing rule of thumb:

Cold & Dry, not shivering= no blanket
Cold & Wet, not shivering= no blanket
Cold & Wet + Wind = Blanket
Anytime they shiver = Blanket

If they are wet, then I'd take some towels and rub them down first, then put dry towels under the blankets until they aren't just soaking wet. Once you can feel a little bit of warmth under the blanket, they should dry out and be fine.

·
Registered
49,233 Posts
I bet they'll be fine. don't brush them for a bit. don't break the water seal on their coats that keeps the water on the outside guard hairs and away from the under softer hair. if the hair looks matted and in "V" shaped clumps, let it be. that shape helps the water drip off and stay on the outer layer and off the skin.

once they are dry, you can groom them so the hair can fluff back up again.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
If they aren't shivering now I wouldn't worry about it. There isn't much you can do since you don't have a shelter to let them dry off.

If it were me next time I'd put waterproof sheets on them in anticipation of the nasty weather. Once the weather stopped I'd take it off. If they were could you could always "upgrade" to a medium weight.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I live in a part of Nevada where it gets pretty cold but hardly snows. Right now it has been cold and snowing for about 48 hours straight and the wind is starting to pick up. They live in a medium sized pen where mud puddles easily form and stay for days even with sunny weather and have no shelter but few bare trees overhanging. They are all quarter horses at ages 10, 11, and 21 who are used to the cold but not the snow.

My question is should I blanket them now even though they are still cold and wet or would it do more harm than good? All I have are waterproof heavy duty winter blankets.

Thank you!
Put up a run in, then you don't have to worry about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.