The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,387 Posts
It sounds like you already bought her. So, I don’t really see what the question is.

My advice is that kids tend to mess up weanlings if they don’t have a lot of management. So, work closely with your trainer. Listen attentively to what she says you need to be aware of, and actually follow that advice.

·
Premium Member
7,387 Posts
Okay, I misread the post. I would say to find a trainer to work with you. Weanlings are much different than older horses. Even if you had completely started the older horse and he had been untouched, the way you handle a weanling differs. So, you will need to take advice from someone who can see what you are doing and talk you through the process.

The other thing that will be difficult is the wait time. Now you will not have a horse to ride for almost two years, depending on when you find it appropriate to start the filly. Getting on a horse who’s never been ridden before takes knowledge. Of course, there is a first time for everyone and only one way to gain experience, but having someone walk you through all of those steps would be a major benefit to the horse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts