The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been looking around for some dressage/English horses and I find this guy online today. I like the way they describe him because even though I've been riding most of my life, I've just recently started riding dressage. I know the picture isn't much to go by but if you could give me some input of what you think and if I should go see him sometime. He is 3 hours away, that's why I want your opion. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I did email for more pictures so hopefully I will get some soon and be able to post them here.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ What I took that to mean is that she wanted to do higher levels of dressage, which I'm not really interested in. Maybe just some local shows and such.

I really like his bloodlines. Enen though I don't buy a horse based on bloodlines, I like his.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
churumbeque,

The way I read the ad description, it sounded to me like the daughter is moving on/moving up in dressage, so this horse may be an experienced first horse or lower level schoolmaster, which I *think* is what that OP is looking for (?). The photo was clearly taken at a dressage comp; and the ad states the horse has lifetime registration with the USDF.

Rough, I definitely think he's worth looking at if you still like what you see when you get follow up photos.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Thank you. He is what I'm looking for, a horse that I can do lower level dressage and english shows with that can help me learn the basics. I'm not really looking for anything more than that. I'm going to ask my trainer about him today and maybe go see him next weekend.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some more pictures she sent. I was determined that I'm not gonna get a horse but now I'm not so sure. I really like him but give me any honest opions you can about him. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think he's very pretty. I am not a paint fan but I am gonna have to say he's a rare exception, I really like how defined his markings are. Only thing I notice that may be a concern is he looks cow-hocked. It could just be the way he is standing of course. Doesn't mean he isn't a perfectly sound horse but might want to ask for some confo photos if thats of great importance.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I would ask for a side confo shot. I'm a little bit worried about how hollow is back is, he has very little back muscle which to me means he isn't rounding our or collecting properly.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead of buying a horse, I'm probably going to lease a horse at my barn instead that I've always loved. It worked out for the best.=)

·
Registered
965 Posts
So you're not going to get that paint?? I have to say, anyways, that he is really pretty. I'm not an english/dressage rider at all, but I love how bright and defined he looks.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
My best advice is don't look to hard on the pictures. To really see the horse and his conformation is to see him in person. Also ask ALOT of questions! don;t ever be worried that you'll seem annoying because the seller gets and idea of how serious a buyer is when they ask every possible question about him!

Also a good thing to do is write down all the questions you want to ask so you dont forget ANYTHING! and of course always ride the horse more then once to make your decion!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had inquired about this horse as well.. at nearly the last minute, the owner tells me about the issue this horse has with his neck. He has arthritis in his neck and has to be on a daily pain supplement. I think that would have been nice to know before I had inquired, that's definitely something I believe needs to be put in his ad to tell prospective buyers BEFORE they spend their time inquiring. Maybe this is why he doesn't look like he collects up as much as he should?

·
Registered
167 Posts
He is gorgeous! I think he would be worth looking at but I think you should ask the owner for some videos first. Be absolutly sure you love him before driving 3 hours. Also if you have been riding for most of your life then he sounds a little easy for you. He seems like a good horse for a first horse maybe you would want a horse that is a little more of a challenge. Thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had inquired about this horse as well.. at nearly the last minute, the owner tells me about the issue this horse has with his neck. He has arthritis in his neck and has to be on a daily pain supplement. I think that would have been nice to know before I had inquired, that's definitely something I believe needs to be put in his ad to tell prospective buyers BEFORE they spend their time inquiring. Maybe this is why he doesn't look like he collects up as much as he should?

whoa arthritis in the neck?? ive never heard of that!!! how does a horse get that???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.