Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've recently made a couple threads asking about a specific question, but I decided I'm just going to compile it all into one thread. I went and viewed this horse for sale today and I instantly fell in love. It's a 7 year old quarter horse gelding with approx. 50 rides on him, and he went like a seasoned pro (on the basics anyways). I took him for a quick little hack and thought it over and everything in me told me I had to buy him.

I went back and the owner and I had a long chat about the horse world (lots of mutual friends). the only issue is he's pretty dead set on the price with absolutely no room for negotiation. I respect that, but I feel that he might be a bit overpriced. he's asking $6500 for him, and though I feel like he's worth his weight in gold, I think it might be a bit too much for a green gelding.

Now, I am a 21 year old in university right now and have been riding for a very long time so my experience isn't much of an issue, but I am on a slight budget. I make a net income of about 1660$ a month, -450 for rent = 1210. He said he'd agree to board him for $300 a month.

Im thinking about offering him $4500 up front, as well as $500 a month until June. Which leaves me about $700 a month to spend. Also note that since I'm a university student I don't actually go out and spend my money on much and I come home for the weekends. if this deal goes through, I also plan to help around the barn on the weekends (if he wants) and since I don't have class on Fridays it'd be a Thursday-sunday thing.

I think his temperament and lineage are definitely worth a fair amount, as well as I know you have too spend good money for a good horse (most cases). Did I mention he's also drop dead gorgeous? ;)

Whats your opinion? is it a fair deal or do you think it would be kind of insulting to ask?

·
Registered
389 Posts
hm..How much do you know the owner? Because you are young/still in college which is an expense, and if the owner is technically a stranger to you, nothing is really stopping him from seeking out someone to pay him in full outright unless he needs the horse out of there asap. If the owner was a friend, you might be able to get away with that. The owner has to trust you'll pay them in a timely fashion. They might feel you're too busy with school to do so. But, I would ask first anyway. Good luck

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
That seems like a lot of money for a university student. Are you sure you can swing it? Can you afford all the other expenses involved in horse ownership? What will you do in case of a vet emergency? Trust me when I say that there are way more expenses than you can ever plan for.

And in terms of working at the barn on weekends, you say you don't have classes Fridays so you can be there Thursday to Sunday, but you may not be considering the fact that you'll have a lot of homework and studying to do on weekends. You'll eventually have exams. Things are going to get busier and busier.

While some students do manage to have horses while they are at university or college, this doesn't seem like the wisest investment at this point in your life. Why not lease or just take lessons? That way when life gets too busy or you're broke, you can walk away. Save ownership for when you're more stable and have a permanent source of income. Just my 2 cents, and probably not what you want to hear, but I see so many young people getting in over their heads, ending up borrowing or so broke they can no longer pay rent, and finally, having to sell their heart horse. I feel like it might be wiser for you to wait a bit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@acadiaartist

i wholeheartedly agree about getting in over your head and ive definitely am trying to weigh the pros and cons, but im military currently going through ROTP at my university so i have a decent steady income. I made a deal with my parents that I would pay for the horse itself and board and they would cover the other expenses, due to this being my first big investment. Im currently in my 3rd year and am moving home for my final year (20 mins away from my university). Of course i take your input into a lot of consideration but i hope that may have cleared a bit up:)

edit: the studying is a bit of a drag, but I took marketing for a reason. No finals :cool:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I passed on the filly i loved at college because they wanted $3500 for her. She was special to me only but not really worth that price. $2500 maybe. $1500 would have been more reasonable.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Do you have plans for the horse after college? Are you sure you'll have the time and money then?

I had a horse growing up, and I sold it when I went to college. Several years later, my little cousin (15 years younger) got a horse. When she went to college, her parents agreed to pay for her to take the horse since she had a scholarship. She rode all through college. However, when she graduated, she realized she didn't have enough time or money any more. That horse lives with me now, and my kids ride it. It took me about 15 years after college to be able to afford horses again.

You're in a time of transition in your life. Don't just think about the cost now or for the next 6 months. Consider your plans for next year, the next year, 5 years from now, etc. Do you have a job lined up? Do you know where you'll live?

I'm not saying "no." The horse sounds great. I'm saying that you need to think things through in more detail than most people would.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, i do have a job lined up for me. And a plus side to my job is the government covers trailering costs if i were to move.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
That price seems really steep for a green horse. I agree with what others have said about looking long term. I have had horses my entire life - through college etc. But if it had not been for my Dad at home keeping my horse and paying for everything I would not have had horses. My daughter is a Jr in college now - she had her horse at school with her last year and was going to take her this fall- we talked her into waiting to see how her classes went before hauling her horse the 6 + hours to school. She has now decided that her class load is too much and she would not have time to ride or see her horse so her horse is staying at home this semester. We pay for the upkeep on her horse for her.

A new job and a move as well sounds like a lot in the future - add a green horse it sounds like a lot. Think with your head - our hearts are not always looking out for our best interest.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
As a 22 year old college student that has just bought a 2nd unbroke horse for $600, HECK NO I wouldn't pay that much for a greenbroke Quarter horse. You could buy an unbroke Quarter horse for MUCH less AND send him off to a trainer for a month or two if needed.

$6500 could buy you a very reliable car, pay for a lot of rent, pay for expensive car repairs, be a very nice emergency fund for yourself and a horse...

I would spend at max $2500 on a horse at this stage in my life, and that other $4000 would be in a savings account. There is no reason that you can't find a horse at a lower price point with likely more training than this one.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I'm of the opinion that that is way too much to pay for an relatively green AQHA gelding. Lines only mean something in a gelding if you're looking for a specific breeding so that the horse may likely be good at a,b,c since there's really not much short for cloning for passing on that good breeding. and at 7 years old only having 50 rides is pretty darn green and unseasoned. Something is rotten in Denmark methinks. I agree that you could shop around and get a better price for a comparable horse. It's worth looking at many while you're looking- I know this because I didn't and paid too much for a horse I did most of the training on, during my second semester of college. It worked. But would rate it 2/10 because there would have been more inexpensive ways to settle on a horse (though I do love my purchase dearly)

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I too would say that is an expensive price to pay for a green 7 year old.

Why was he left so late?.

No good getting yourself into debt over a horse. Your time is going to be limited with college and working.

If you are experienced why not exercise other people's horses and get paid for it? That way your money is yours, you can save and buy a great horse when you are settled in a job.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Not too long ago (like 4 months ago, lol) I got my first horse as a college student. I got her for free, but paid $750 to ship her. I cannot express how glad I am that I didn't invest 1k+ in getting a horse, and that was a pretty quick realization.

Why? Because the unexpected always happens - someone hit me and totaled my car last month, and I had to spend $2k for a new car and then spend an additional $800 to get that car in driving-safe condition. (Insurance didn't help me at all even though I should not have been held at fault.) If I had drained $6500 on a horse or if I was sparing an additional $500 a month, no way in hell I'd be able to afford a new car out of pocket. And that would have left me car-less, aka, jobless, aka, homeless, aka, horseless. No bueno.

If you're paying $300 a month on board, a horse who is $2000 rather than $6500 would save you $4500, and to put that in perspective, that would pay for your horse's board for more than a year! Whoa! Please take a look at rescues, some have some amazing green horses for so cheap. I got my mare from a rescue that didn't have adoption fees and she is so dang athletic, doesn't need any expensive feeds or supplements, and has not been lame a day in her life. Not all rescue horses are old or unrideable or dangerous etc.

I don't see it as "I can't afford the long-term cost if I can't afford the upfront cost." I see it as "If I spend less on the upfront cost, the long-term is more affordable."

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I agree that $6500 is way too much for a green horse. I'd keep looking. And payment plans can be tricky (if the other person even agrees to it). Especially if you are wanting a trail horse (based on your other thread), I would pass on the horse with the fancy papers as they mean absolutely nothing on trail.

The decision is your on if you can afford the horse through University. My first foray into horse ownership was a disaster, but I was still in high school. My second turned out better, and that happened when i was going to college (and I still have the horse many, many moons later). But he was $100 off the track so the upfront cost of the horse was nothing.

Think it through. Look at other horses.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thank you all so much for your input. I was able to talk it down to $4500, since I would be leaving him at the current location, and just pay the $300 a month for board. I haven't confirmed sale yet and am going to wait till Friday to give my final decision.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
If you are having issues with your confidence, this horse might not be best for you.
@Acadianartist bought a mellow, great horse named Rusty who is also younger and green broke. Rusty is a good trail horse and will be a great one. However, he had less than 100 rides and any horse with less than 100 rides should be expected to do something such as run off with you, start bucking, or have some other issue. You should read her threads if you want to find out some things that could happen even with a great, calm horse that loves trails.

The problem is, the horse can't gain experience until he has gained it. So even if he is a very calm horse with good training, he still hasn't met enough things for anyone to know if he has a "nemesis," or if some situation will strike him a different way than expected. Perhaps you don't want to spend a lot of money and then be the one who finds out that umbrellas are the one thing he hasn't seen that will make him freak out, buck and run off.

I could tell you many stories of horses I know that are now super trail horses, very unflappable and never spook that had some kind of issue when they were green. If you are struggling with your confidence, I would suggest letting someone else deal with the green horse or as I call them "baby head" issues, and get an experienced been-there-done-that horse.

My personal thoughts about horses are: Less than 100 rides - unpredictable. 100 rides to one year after the 100 rides are done - green. Between green and 1,000 rides, a horse you begin to build a team with. 1,000+ rides- horse becomes a part of your body and mind.

However, if you do get this horse, you can always come visit the forum for helpful advice. Even if your horse does run off with you, it's something you can get through!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have to lock my trailer when I go to the store so it isn't full of green broke geldings when I come out. $4500 is way too much. You should be able to get a trailer full of green broke geldings for that price, and they come with the trailer.

Buying a horse is just a small fraction of owning a horse. There's farriers, vets, feed, tack, truck, trailer, …..

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have to lock my trailer when I go to the store so it isn't full of green broke geldings when I come out. $4500 is way too much. You should be able to get a trailer full of green broke geldings for that price, and they come with the trailer.

Buying a horse is just a small fraction of owning a horse. There's farriers, vets, feed, tack, truck, trailer, …..
:ROFL:

That's hilarious. And accurate. For 4500 a qh trail horse green with 100 rides he better be some kind of genius who can saddle himself and count cows as they go through gate and possibly make you breakfast.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Yes, i do have a job lined up for me. And a plus side to my job is the government covers trailering costs if i were to move.
What government does that?

Honestly, this sounds more like a heart than a head deal. But then I am a grumpy old person, so....

·
Registered
3,280 Posts

:rofl: Thanks, Elkdog. I needed the morning laugh!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.