The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that I have been miserable at my current job for a while and the job opportunities here are virtually non-existant. I started talking with my Dad this weekend while I was home and he mentioned something that I have been tossing around in my head for a while. He thinks that I need to move back home and start training colts for a living. An old friend from Kansas called the other day and was wondering if either Jason (my brother) or I was doing any training cause they have some 2 and 3 year olds that they would like to have broke. These people have some very nicely bred quarter horses and I know some other people that I could call and have several more horses there within the week so finding clients and horses wouldn't be a problem. I know in my mind that I could do it, I know how to do it, and I have done it before but not as my main income. But my heart is stopping me, there is just that nagging doubt that I will go all out on my own and not be able to make it. I have some other doubts and I am just kind of scared to let go of a secure job that I hate to jump into a completely unsecure job that I would love. I understand all the costs that I would have to cover out of my own pocket; insurance, taxes, and the possible loss of income if I were to be hurt. But at the same time, I could double my gross monthly income pretty easily with just 8 horses. I know that with all the other costs that I won't be rich, but that's not what I worry about. So long as I have enough money to pay my bills and maybe get some new tack every now and then, I would be happy.

I just want to get some feedback from other adults about things that I may not have thought of. Thank you and cookies and a shot of your chosen drink for reading the novel. :)

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
But my heart is stopping me, there is just that nagging doubt that I will go all out on my own and not be able to make it.
The way I look at it, if you don't try you will always wonder "what if". Have a backup plan in case things don't work out. If you're successful you'll be doing something you love and what could be better than that! Now, if you design your own line of halters, lead ropes and training paraphernalia and later a library of DVD's to sell you'll know you're successful. ;)

·
Chat Moderator
3,744 Posts
Could you start training horses until your name gets out there as a trainer and then quit your job?

That said with your job, the risk of being hurt is still there. And I have heard this from other people and I know it is true; if you love what your doing it will take less money to enjoy life. good luck either way.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Kentucky. I am fortunate enough that there are enough of the horses I have ridden that are out there that there are some people who already know my name and how I train (and those people raise horses). Plus, with my Dad being who he is with his history, there are always people asking him if he knows where they can get a horse trained. Getting horses down there won't be the problem. I am, more than anything, worried that I won't be tough enough to keep with it. I know that I can't ride a hard or tricky bucker, though I would **** sure try. The problem with taking horses while I am still working is that I would only have at most 3 days out of every 8 that I would be able to get up there and ride. I could get it done but I wouldn't get as much accomplished as I would need or want to in 30 days.

Goodness, listen to me. It sounds like I am just trying to talk myself into it. Maybe 3neighs is right, I should just take the plunge and do it. LOL. *shakes head*. I will be going home again on my next days off so I will probably talk to Dad and find out what I would need to do to get going and then get started putting things together. It may take a couple of months but that would be okay.

Thanks for listening everyone who read this whole silly thing. I guess I just needed a sounding board to bounce my thoughts off of.

By all means, if anyone else has any thoughts or suggestions, please share.

:D

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I said take the plunge. What's the worst that could happen? You don't make it and you have to reapply for your current job?!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I, too, say take the plunge.

You could always take a months worth of leave from your current job and see how well you enjoy training.

Although, we all already know that answer to that, don't we? ;)

Life is too short to be unhappy. You really have NOTHING to lose.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I say do it. I know I'm not really truly an "grown up" yet, maturity/decision making wise, but I do know that you're a fantastic trainer. You've told me quite a few things that have really helped me out with Lacey over the last few months and I'm sure other people would be equally enthusiastic to get your help with their horses.
If full time training is where your heart is, why fight it? And anyway, the world needs more sane horse trainers. :lol:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Ya'lls support really does mean a lot to me. The good news is that I won't have rent or anything to pay :D. I will probably move back in with Dad for a while and sometime next spring or summer, my G-ma's house will be empty again if I need a place of my own. And it's only about 1/4 mile from the barn.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks guys. Ya'lls support really does mean a lot to me. The good news is that I won't have rent or anything to pay :D. I will probably move back in with Dad for a while and sometime next spring or summer, my G-ma's house will be empty again if I need a place of my own. And it's only about 1/4 mile from the barn.
Sounds like you're becoming a trainer full-time! Don't forget us little people when you make it big!! ;)

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Jen, when I got out of college and got married, I was teaching school. I hated it like I never hated anything else but that was the respectable thing to do. It took several years before I had the courage to take on a job that paid solely by commission. It was a difficult move and drove me crazy for a time before my wife (of 40 years now) helped me see how miserable I was and how that was effecting our marriage.

It was very rough for a while until I got into the rhythm of not having a steady paycheck each month. I learned to budget. There were times during the first two years that I lost sleep worrying about my income - or lack of it, but I knew that this was for the best if I wanted the life I promised my wife.

I didn't have the support of my family who simply thought I was out of my mind to give up a teaching job with tenure for the uncertainty of sales. For me, it was the right thing to do. I hated what I was doing and took every opportunity to take a day off.

I learned how to handle life by commission and never looked back (although there certainly were times that I wondered "what if..").

BTW, I was younger then you at the time - and married. I've listened to you in many threads and it reminds me of how I was when I made the choice to give up teaching. In the words of Nike "Just Do It..."

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, Six. Pretty unlikely that I will ever be that big. I have no interest in gyping people out of their money. More than likely I won't charge more than $650 or $700 for 30 days. Maybe eventually do some trading around if I find some nice horses with potential. I may not be able to be on here so much but I will remain an active member. I am too much of an addict to ever stop. ;p

Iride, thank you. Your experience reminds me that nothing is ever certain and there will be some rough times but to just keep working through them. It will be worth it. :D

I hated what I was doing and took every opportunity to take a day off.
That reminds me of how I approach my job now. I take approved time any time that I can and every day, I get up and try to give myself a reason to call in sick. I feel guilty doing that but sometimes I just can't face going in there.

·
Chat Moderator
3,744 Posts
Jen,
Sounds like you have all you need to do is do it and your job as a prison guard. I bet you they will happily let you come back if you don't like horse training which I doubt will happen. All you have to fear is fear itself.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Sounds like it would be quite the adventure! Go for it, don't be worried. There are times when you need to take a leap of faith and give something a try. It's one of those things where unless you try it, you won't know whether or not it can work and you will regret for years to come.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks you guys.

Tiff, I don't know exactly when I will end up getting into it. I know it will be after the first of the year. Probably closer to spring. There are lots of things that I need to get set up first. I need a few dozen panels for roundpens (have to have at least 3). And need to get some fixing done in the barn. I probably need to get another saddle as well, we have several but there are only 2 that I can actually ride and be comfortable in. Plus some more reins and bridles, got plenty of snaffles.

Don't worry, I will certainly let everyone know when it gets done. :D
Just making the decision I already feel better, not so much stress and finally something to look forward to.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I love the planning that goes into a new venture - it always invigorates me!

Have fun doing it and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Do it!! Make the change while you have your Dad as a security net. There's not much worse than being in a job and place that you can't stand. Been there done that. I was stuck longer as I had no security net.

Go for it. Life's to short to be miserable

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Funny, I saw the title of this thread, then I saw who started it and in my mind I screamed YES! before I read a word of what you had written. Does that say something of what I think? I know how miserable you have been in your current situation so do it do it do it :lol: We'll be your cheerleading team
That one on the end is me

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow. You guys are so awesome and though I have never really met any of you in real life, your opinions and support really do mean a lot to me. I told my Dad tonight that I decided I wanted to come home and do this and he smiled and started to get tears in his eyes. He has wanted this for so long. He has promised to help me and teach me all he can about training; he still knows so much that I don't know if I will ever be able to learn it all. I just hope that someday I can be 1/10th the horseman he is. We started making plans tonight. It does make me feel better to know that I can go to him if I hit a problem that has me completely stumped and he will have an answer. But more importantly, if I can't figure it out, he can show me :D. We plan to go visit some old friends in KS shortly after X-mas (they are looking for a trainer), so WooHoo, maybe I have my start.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts