The Horse Forum banner

Should we prohibit "net speak" in posts altogether?

• Yes, chat speak degrades the quality of my experience

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No, I don't mind it

Votes: 5 13.9%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

You may have noticed our recent efforts to ensure that everyone understands that The Horse Forum is for adults first and foremost and younger members who can behave maturely.

We created The Saloon to provide a place for adults to talk to other adults exclusively, and added a Teen Talk sub forum so that teenagers can discuss teen related issues in an area no adults have to read about them unless they choose to.

Several members have contacted us now regarding their frustrations with some of our younger members' "net speak" (also referred to as "txt speak" because it is reminiscent of shortcuts taken by some when sending txt messages over mobile phones) in posts, characterized by excessive abbreviations, lack of any punctuation, gratuitous misspellings, etc. Our rules already state that excessive net speak is not allowed, but we are considering "cracking down" and prohibiting it altogether, with perhaps the exception of the Teen Talk forum, if a majority of the adults here find it distracting or feel it otherwise degrades the quality of their experience.

Would you please take a moment to vote in the poll and let us know whether you would like to see The Horse Forum prohibit net speak in posts altogether (with the exception of commonly used, helpful abbreviations) or if you don't mind it?

To be sure, eliminating net speak would not mean posts would be policed for any and all spelling and grammar mistakes. it wud mean u couldnt post like this tho u no?

On behalf of the Horse Forum Team, thank you for your time!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
The only time text speak should be acceptable, is when someone's texting on their phone or other handheld device. I try not to use it even then, because I find it annoying.

Proper grammar and spelling are important, regardless of whether or not the text junkies agree. It's difficult to understand a post that's loaded with text speak.

I generally won't bother to try and decipher a post if it looks like a 3 y/o got hold of the keyboard and typed in gibberish.

It's annoying, unnecessary, rude, and shows the poster's lack of concern for the niceties of the written language.

Spelling mistakes aren't quite so bad, because I can usually figure out what they're trying to say.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I can't even stand text speak when I'm texting!
I'd really like if it weren't allowed (exception may be lol or smileys though!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
it wud mean u couldnt post like this tho u no?

Now that just made me giggle!

I don't think there is any excuse to text speak any more, even when texting. I think part of the original reason for it, though I could be mistaken, is that the older models of mobile phones didn't have the character capacity to allow for normal, short sentences. I do realize that it is quicker to just truncate words and such, but personally I really dislike it. And even though it is wrong for me to think this, I mentally subtract IQ points from anyone who does it.

The one time fairly recently when I sent my daughter a text with text speak because I thought was too long for her phone, I got chided by her for it. :oops:

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
And even though it is wrong for me to think this, I mentally subtract IQ points from anyone who does it.
I do the same thing, Jake.

I figure if people can't spell 'you', 'know', 'too', etc. then they're a little light in the cerebrum department.

I also deduct points if the person's supposed to be horsey, and they substitute 'gate' for 'gait', or use 'confirmation' for 'conFORmation'.

So they have a Catholic horse, do they? Catholics are the only ones I know who have confirmation!

The Senate also does confirmation hearings, but I'm pretty sure no horses are Senators. There are some who are certainly horse's butts, but not actual horses!

·
Super Moderator
22,659 Posts
Here's a view of an user who doesn't speak English as her native language:

When I started to go here (with my English skills which were pretty weak then) I found that messages which included a lot of spoken language or informal abbreviations were occasionally hard to understand. Nowadays it has turned better and I usually catch what the writer means but I think I can represent most of non-native English speakers (especially those with weaker skills) when I say that it helps a lot if the message is written even somehow with written language. I know that if you're going to participate an English forum you have to know English instead of waiting everyone else write simplified language just for you but I think that could be just... a middle course. I admit messages that consist of a lot of "txt language" are also a bit annoying since them look somehow a little unfinished.

Official abbreviations don't bother or confuse me, neither very common informal abbreviations (like u ) if you throw one here and there but don't write whole the message using all kind of abbreviations and spoken language.

About spelling, like I said I'm not a native English speaker so of course I can't be sure but what if these people just don't know how to spell some of these words correctly? In general, linguistic things aren't easy for everybody and here can be people who have real problems with them. Then there are we who don't speak English as our native language and are more prone to do all kind of mistakes with the language, despise of it how hard we try.

But if you just don't want to pay attention to your spelling even you can do it, I think that's different. Please help to keep the forum easy and nice to everyone and spell correctly. If you can't, then even try to do it.

So my suggestion is not to prohibit "net speak" altogether but highly recommend that you write so lucidly and correctly as you can. I wouldn't mind if there were a bit "net speak" here and there but whole the messages that are written with spoken or net language are too much.

So perhaps a some kind of intermediate between a full prohibition and just a loose instruction "please don't..."

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
There are some who are certainly horse's butts, but not actual horses!

LMBO (Laughing my butt off), I like to say they are the southern end
of a north bound mule.

I think spelling out the words, helps teach spelling which even I have
trouble with sometimes and can help teach correct punctuation.

And like Tamma said, I think it is very hard for a non-English speaking
person. English is a tough langauge to learn let alone trying to
decipher the slang.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for voting, everyone. It's clear the majority of those who voted would like to see net speak addressed here. We are going to post an announcement about it soon.

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will be, FGR. The plan is to allow the most commonly used, generally accepted abbreviations that don't detract from the readability of posts or chat. Everyone please feel free to recommend others that you think should be allowed.

Thanks!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
AB hugs the Administrator!

There is nothing more difficult to read than a long post with no caps, no punctuations (other than several consecutive periods so it is clear they have the ability to type a period but choose not use them to form a sentence) and numbers in places of letters. 2 is a number and how is that much easier to type than to or too?

Poor spelling I am willing to ignore to a certain degree. I know I frequently type faster than I should and I totally mess up. Plus I am a crappy speller. Darn English language (and yes, it is the only language I know) is a pain in my behind. Too many freaking rules for my little rock filled head to remember. But I try.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Completely agree with Tiff. Common ones like LOL, IMHO, ROFLOL, etc are more acceptable and more easily understood by those who don't understand when they are used to accent another full statement written in proper grammar. And AB, spelling mishaps happen to us all. I completely agree with you about the ones that are written that are 3 paragraphs long with zero punctuation, capitalization, and obviously purposeful spelling mistakes like no(know), tho(though), etc.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
You guys are going to get tired cleaning it up. Wow! Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I HATE people who type their text speak. Simple things such as brb or imo, lol and such I don't mind but when you get a paragraph full of it its ridiculous. I also subtract IQ points from people who do it. Why would you want yourself to seem uneducated, or unable to spell anything?

My opinion, if you don't know how to spell something, type it into the google search engine and it will give you the correct spelling. I use it all the time!
For posts on the forum, it comes equipped with a spell checker so there is no excuse for txt speak in posts for that reason.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Manny thnx 2 tha AMDN 4 tha change!(couldn't figure out the txt version of change...hehe). I h8 havin 2 reed mspld an unpunctd posts(couldn't figure out the txt for posts either, oh bother)! U no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts