The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter who will be turning 11 is going to be showing English for the first time in 4H & open shows this summer. Mainlly walk/trot but also some showmanship.

I am making a list of things that she will need as she is really a cowgirl at heart and prefers western.

I am on a tight budget but I am looking for things that are on sale , used etc..
What I have so far is:

Horse: nice fancy stitched bridle from Gatsby

For her:
tan jods/ garter straps (am unsure how they buckle)so I dont know if they will fit
ariat paddock boots (perfomers)

light purple show shirt w/choker

Troxel helmet -Velvet teen Victory
dk show coat with pin stripes
getting a show bow for her hair

Need:
white fleece pad
saddle? may be able to borrow one
br. girth

black gloves?

Can anybody else give me some advice as to what else I need to get?
Suggestions please?

I am hopefully getting a 4H rule book very soon.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
are you working with a trainer? I would ask her what is standard for your area. For the schooling H/J shows around here you DON'T wear show bows! Little girls still in garters wear their hair in pigtails with bows. But I know in dressage shows show bows are normal. I would recommend black gloves. But again, see what everyone else is doing.

Do you already have a helmet? I have an almost brand new velvet international helmet. worn literally once or twice. I'll sell it for $30 + shipping!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes , we are working with an instructor/trainer .....I will def. ask her about all this stuff too and I am going to double check on the jods and garters too. I did not know about the pigtails and bows I will remember that.
what size is your helmet? I may be interested....thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Look for a consignment store in your area and also try Ebay. I always can find high quality items for cheap on Ebay. And consignment stores are a great way to get gently used items.

Also you'll want to check with a 4-H horse person because I believe they wear their 4-H uniform (or at least the shirt) when they show.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Look for a consignment store in your area and also try Ebay. I always can find high quality items for cheap on Ebay. And consignment stores are a great way to get gently used items.

Also you'll want to check with a 4-H horse person because I believe they wear their 4-H uniform (or at least the shirt) when they show.
Agreed with the consignment shop. I don't know what the rules are for 4-H wherever the OP is, but here we wear whatever show attire is legal for our division. But, definitely read the rulebook. I find it helpful. :)

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Thanks , I will have to do that I saw that you were selling some things. I wondered if your purple half chaps may fit her just for schooling/lessons?
She has a pair now but I foresee her growing out of them soon.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also: I got a copy of the 4H rule book today , will get an updated one in Feb. so it should give us plenty of time to get what we need.

Meanwhile: I am still on the look out for good deals!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey Amy. I do still have those half chaps, you're welcome to come to the barn with M to try them on. I also have a cob sized fancy bridle with reins, but it's not Gatsby, it's a Silver Fox brand. It's a large cob, and may very well fit Henry. You're always welcome to borrow it to see if it fits, and then use it until you can get another one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.