The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

In my country almost everyone rides english and the rider shops sport 'fancy' riding clothes (like with a lot of poohah and strass and swarovski stones and all..) Most riding helmets are with strass or glitter or some kind of adornment or they are covered with velvet. I dislike those styles. (I really don't like strass at all...) I had to look hard to find a helmet that I found pretty. :D So now I was wondering: what kind of styles are you guys into? Does it matter to you how your helmet looks? Show a picture of it?

These are mine: (I like the right one the most :) )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
This is mine in navy. Tipperary Sportage

My son has his in this color shown...dark almost black but a flat finish not sparkly or shiny especially.

Only helmet I have and it needs replacing. Old now by the manufacturers standards and far more important it slipped off the hook it hangs from and slammed the floor....
Need to go shopping for a new head protector.. :smile:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
26,879 Posts
I have a riding cap for AQHA shows but it doesn't really offer much protection. The black one is the one I use for most shows. The brown leather one is my daily use one. It is SUPER comfortable.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I have 2 helmets (both Troxel Dakota)- and the reason why I have them: they are the only ones that seem to fit me well enough I forget I am wearing them. And they are surprisingly cool, with a larger brim that shades my face. And unfortunately I already put an older model to the test. The helmet didn't survive a hard impact of the temple area onto a metal gate, but my head did. Mission accomplished!
One is in the barn and one is hauled to trail rides and such, making sure I don't end up at the trail head without a helmet .

Dakota P.jpg
Dakota trail.jpg

And I try to wait until they are on sale (I religiously replace them after 5 years or a fall, whatever comes first)...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Same as @horselovinguy, in the color pictured. DH has the same helmet (2 or 3 of them actually) in navy.

I also have a Troxel Fallon Taylor helmet (black with pink design) that I keep in one of the trailers but it is hotter than heck so I don't love wearing it in the summer for more than a short ride. Did 9 miles in it yesterday and thought I might melt.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
This is mine, the Charles Owen 4 Star. It was the best fit for my head plus it's certified to four international safety standards. No sparkles though :smile:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
Caledonian that looks more like a skull cap with a covering...
What the jockeys wear with racing colors barn specific hat cover pulled over it..
No brim but great harness and skull coverage..

What are the four safety standards??...
That's something I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I like your helmets! They are nice! Especially that one from horselovinguy! omgggg! @QueenofFrance08 I love pink! I would buy a totally pink helmet if I could! :D

@Caledonian I know that brand! They make really nice and pretty helmets (also in pink, yay!), but sadly not within my limited budget. ;) I saw some pink cheap helmets listed online but not sure of the quality of those... The difference must be somewhere...

I also had to buy a more expensive helmet because my head didn't fit snug inside all the cheaper ones... Oh well... I love these helmets to drool over (but they are expensive):

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Caledonian that looks more like a skull cap with a covering...
What the jockeys wear with racing colors barn specific hat cover pulled over it..
No brim but great harness and skull coverage..

What are the four safety standards??...
That's something I'm not familiar with.

You're right it is a skull cap. From the Charles Owen site, the four standards are ASTM F1163-15, PAS015:2011, SNELL E2016, VG1 01-040 2014-12.

https://www.charlesowen.com/standards for an easy description of the type of tests; from falling on sharp objects, flat surfaces, weights falling on it from different heights/crushing.

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
if it makes you happy, buy a fancy one. But, if you just need the basic level of protection, then a Troxel or a Tipperary will do fine, or a Charles Owen if you have extra cash..

If a fancy helmet brings you joy, well then, go for it. Ultimately, it will be the cheapest investment in joy you ever made.

By the way, I use a Tipperary, like @horselovingguy. It is comfy, cool and does the job. What more would I need?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ive got a simple one. It had decent reviews and fit me very well. It seems to be one of the more popular helmets in my country because the price isnt crazy and it looks good. Its also not as bulky as a lot of other helmets I have tried.

·
Premium Member
13,101 Posts
Don't use one often. Did today (and was sweating like crazy at 8 AM). However, on days like today when I do wear a helmet, I use a white Tipperary Sportage. May be my imagination, but it feels a little cooler than the dark blue one I used for years. Bandit is better looking than me and decided to take over the selfie :D:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@tinyliny Hm, I thought 50 was alot for a helmet. Now I paid 80 and that's even more money for me. I don't think I will ever buy a helmet over 80/90... It's too much money compared to what I earn monthly. ;) Maybe if I ever get a partner that earns well and when I am older and financially better off. :D As for now I'd rather give 80 for a good one the equestrian store recommends than I would order a pink one online and not be sure about the quality. :D I did pay 200 for my body protector... :D I wanted a soft and very safe one... So I had to pay... :D

@Jolly101 I really like the style of that one!!

@BzooZu I don't know that brand. :D Never seen it here.
@Chaz80 It's pink! gasp! :D Me like! :D

@bsms Yes, black attracts and holds heat better. White will surely be cooler. :D I don't sweat that much on my head but I do sweat alot underneath my body protector... I am too scared to ever go without it though because I have an artificial part in my body that could get damaged if I fall without the armor on... It's not worth it.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
This is my helmet. I usually don't wear one but I will be starting the four year old soon. So yeah, thought that I might need one. It's pretty comfortable although it gave me a headache the first time that I used it. I had it adjusted too tight.

troxel low profile.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Jolien there is no reason not to order a helmet you like if it is certified and comes from a reputable brand. Price has nothing to do with quality in this case as long as certifications are in place.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I agree with QtrBel as well. Price has little to nothing to do with the quality or rather safety of a helmet. They all go through standard SEI and ASTM evaluation to begin with. For example, Samshield is quite expensive, but doesn't really have more safety qualifications than a cheap helmet - it's all for the name. And if you are buying for schooling, I actually would recommend buying the helmet that fits best, for the cheapest dollar. That way there will be no hesitation for crash replacements in which you'd pay a fraction of the helmet's price for a new one, depending on the time frame you've had it. Cheaper helmet = cheaper replacement.

However, I do think buying and trying on in person trumps ordering online since helmet fit can really vary between brands and even within brands. A helmet that fits better is going to provide better safety then say a helmet that is loose and could dislodge upon impact. Unfortunately, the local tack store doesn't carry all the options, so trying on is not always possible, but would be my preference.

The One K, pictured above, is actually the only helmet I had ever ordered online. I had tried it on in a store, but was not considering buying it at the time, so had done lots of reading on how it fits and how it compares to my previous helmet. Do you know the shape your your own head? There are different types: round (wider side-side and may be shorter front-back), oval (longer front-back, narrower side-side) and long oval. Then, there is a bit of a gray area where I find some helmets are in between shapes. Knowing your head shape may help narrow down options, if you were to order online. But, I'd also look into reviews of the helmet to see if there are any variations between the fit stated and actual fit.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have this Ovation (after years of riding in Troxels that actually didn't fit my head shape!) I believe it was about $50, so super reasonable, and it's really lightweight and comfortable.

It is coming up on 5 years old so time to start shopping for a new one. I'm looking into a helmet with MIPS this time, since I figure anything that I can do to protect my head even more is worth my money. I really like the look of the Tipperary Windsor, but the price tag has me hesitant!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@QtrBel I would have to look into that more thoroughly. In my country you can't bring helmets on the market that are unsafe but maybe the cheaper ones are less safe on certain points (??) To be honest I never really knew about those extra safety standards until I read a comment of one of the HF users about it.

@Jolly101 They don't offer those services where I live or at least not for the helmets I buy and I have never heard any of my equestrian friends talk about this. If you fall your helmet has to be replaced on your own costs. The companies here offer only guarantuee for factory mistakes... Also, on recommendation of loosie, I wrote to the company where I bought my first helmet to see if they offered a scan service but they didn't. That helmet was also worth around 80-90 but I bought it discounted for maybe 50-60. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts