The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d love to see some horse-related glow ups! It can be the glow-up of a neglected horse, or it can be a glow-up from baby horse to teen/adult or teen horse to adult, or it could be a tack glow up either from replacing your tack or sprucing up some old tack, it can be riding glow ups... anything, I just find this kind of thing so satisfying.
I’ll give a few types too!

Dixie’s glow-up from being neglected by her previous owners (almost 6 years ago) to present day...
Before:

After:

Mav’s yearling/yearling and a half glow up to almost 7 years old (present day)
before:

After:

Edit: accidentally pressed send before I meant to. Adding this:

My personal riding glow up.

Edit: I have also learned since May to tighten my back cinch properly 😉

·
Registered
653 Posts
20180522_123303.jpg
When I got my filly she was 13 months old and I found her on Craigslist. She was living under very difficult and unkept conditions. Trash was scattered all over both in an out of her pen. Bags old trash were strewn all over and no grass had been cut that year around the house or pen area. First picture is when I first saw her. The bottom is this fall at 3 yo.
20200405_171039.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh! Here's one of my girls. First one is when I got them and the last ones are of like this month.
View attachment 1109774
View attachment 1109775 View attachment 1109776
View attachment 1109777

And my riding.
First one is from fall of 2019
Second one is November 2020
Aww, I love the donk! Super cute.

I can’t see the first video, the link didn’t work for me. But your riding is looking good!

Gorgeous! What breed? He looks beautiful in both western and English! And with no tack, too.
View attachment 1109793 When I got my filly she was 13 months old and I found her on Craigslist. She was living under very difficult and unkept conditions. Trash was scattered all over both in an out of her pen. Bags old trash were strewn all over and no grass had been cut that year around the house or pen area. First picture is when I first saw her. The bottom is this fall at 3 yo. View attachment 1109794
Glad she’s in a better place now! She’s a cutie, I like her belly marking. 😊
View attachment 1109795 Here she is under saddle this fall.
What a good girl! She looks happy :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reactions: Knave and AbbySmith

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is "glow up" a new term, or a misspelling of "grow up"?
Not a super new term, but new compared to, you know, most things I guess. It’s more or less the same thing as a before/after— if you say “that horse really glew up” it’s kinda like saying “that horse really improved/got pretty/etc”.... it kinda denotes some form of improvement or something. And it doesn’t have to only apply to horses, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
26,719 Posts
@tinyliny I wasn't sure about the term either (I think that's our age showing through!)

@LilyandPistol Thanks! Riley is an AQHA and Cloud is AQHA/NFQHA/FQHA/IBHA He's a dunskin I believe is what his papers say.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Minnie (the bay) in November 2017 when she was handed over to a rescue (she was approx. 4 at this point). The owners bought her sight unseen as a safe horse for kids to groom, she was delivered healthy, turned out to the pasture and was completely uncatchable. She continued to lose condition and one morning the owners woke up to a baby at her side. She continued to lose condition as the baby drank all of her calories. Eventually the rescue was able to corral them into a trailer.

And when I brought her home in January 2019. You can see how little muscle mass she had upon arrival to our barn from being a walking skeleton, living off of any muscle she had left.

Summer 2019, her stunning summer coat came in. This was my first time seeing her 'true' coat, since all the pictures I'd seen up to that point were winter pictures, and I'd only owned her in winter months. And with the summer grasses, her true Morgan-self began showing...in the form of a huge belly. The pictures don't do it justice, there were points when people were asking when she was due to foal.

And Minnie now, after two years under my ownership. I pretty much halter broke her and did all of the groundwork with her, along with saddle breaking her of course. It seems like we are now at the point of growing muscle, now that her big belly has been worked off (along with having no access to grass whatsoever). Now we are working on developing self-carriage both on the lunge and under-saddle. I aspire to compete dressage with her and eventually eventing.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Minnie (the bay) in November 2017 when she was handed over to a rescue (she was approx. 4 at this point). The owners bought her sight unseen as a safe horse for kids to groom, she was delivered healthy, turned out to the pasture and was completely uncatchable. She continued to lose condition and one morning the owners woke up to a baby at her side. She continued to lose condition as the baby drank all of her calories. Eventually the rescue was able to corral them into a trailer.

View attachment 1109809

And when I brought her home in January 2019. You can see how little muscle mass she had upon arrival to our barn from being a walking skeleton, living off of any muscle she had left.

View attachment 1109813

Summer 2019, her stunning summer coat came in. This was my first time seeing her 'true' coat, since all the pictures I'd seen up to that point were winter pictures, and I'd only owned her in winter months. And with the summer grasses, her true Morgan-self began showing...in the form of a huge belly. The pictures don't do it justice, there were points when people were asking when she was due to foal.

View attachment 1109814

View attachment 1109815

And Minnie now, after two years under my ownership. I pretty much halter broke her and did all of the groundwork with her, along with saddle breaking her of course. It seems like we are now at the point of growing muscle, now that her big belly has been worked off (along with having no access to grass whatsoever). Now we are working on developing self-carriage both on the lunge and under-saddle. I aspire to compete dressage with her and eventually eventing.

View attachment 1109810

View attachment 1109811
Bless her... Mini’s story is very similar to that of Dixie’s. She also had a baby and started losing condition, because her owners weren’t taking proper care of her, and Mav was sucking what nutrients she did have out of her. Mav was her baby. She probably is what kept him alive, bless her heart. I think we both have very strong mares to make it through that.

·
Registered
49,042 Posts
Not a super new term, but new compared to, you know, most things I guess. It’s more or less the same thing as a before/after— if you say “that horse really glew up” it’s kinda like saying “that horse really improved/got pretty/etc”.... it kinda denotes some form of improvement or something. And it doesn’t have to only apply to horses, for sure.
Are you telling me the new past tense of 'glow' is 'glew'???? Isn't it still 'glowed'?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts