Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Cute!

Reactions: AbbySmith

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have one! We bought this precious pony last year in May after seeing her on a Facebook ad - something about her just immediately drew me in so we made a 3.5 hr drive on impulse to go see her the following day. She certainly was a scrawny little nag at the time but I still felt a special connection so we took her home. Her name at the time was Gretchen. We alternated between Stevie and Gretchen for a while but Stevie seems to have stuck.

Here's her first morning home:
IMG_3799.jpg IMG_3798.jpg
She was underweight, undermuscled, and apparently not the most socialized when it came to other horses (she completely ignored our herd at first and would run away kicking with both feet when they approached). Also had a bout of laminitis (luckily no lasting damage) that was growing out, her winter coat didn't finish shedding until June... she was a mess! The girl we bought her from said she bought her from a friend who was selling her to pay for her other horse's vet bills and that she was allegedly from a rescue before that.

One month in, looking much better already (had some scratches from scuffles with her new herd):
20200601_181738.JPG

She's almost fearless when it comes to seeing new sights and obstacles, but we discovered that "green" meant "barely knew left from right but you can sit on her safely!" She will saddle up fine, walk on tarps all day, lead anywhere with you, but she did not know steering, stopping, or backing up. After a few minor incidents we decided to just restart from square one on her training.

Now she is gorgeous, lovely, clever, full of personality and not afraid to show it! She has been on winter break from training but before it got too cold to work, she was making lovely progress. She leads the group on trail rides and when she carries herself well, has a lovely floating trot and a smooth canter.
20201128_114252 (1).jpg
20201225_095501.jpg

PS.. Any guesses on what breed she is would be welcome. She was listed as a quarter pony but she is fine boned and has a pretty slender head, yet also has a short and thick neck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
She’s a beauty! I’m glad y’all were able to help her. I’m sure she’s super happy in her new home. I don’t have any guess as to breed but if anyone does I wouldn’t mind them saying either because I’m also interested, even if it is a bit off topic! ☺

·
Registered
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
I have one! We bought this precious pony last year in May after seeing her on a Facebook ad - something about her just immediately drew me in so we made a 3.5 hr drive on impulse to go see her the following day. She certainly was a scrawny little nag at the time but I still felt a special connection so we took her home. Her name at the time was Gretchen. We alternated between Stevie and Gretchen for a while but Stevie seems to have stuck.

Here's her first morning home:
View attachment 1109848 View attachment 1109849
She was underweight, undermuscled, and apparently not the most socialized when it came to other horses (she completely ignored our herd at first and would run away kicking with both feet when they approached). Also had a bout of laminitis (luckily no lasting damage) that was growing out, her winter coat didn't finish shedding until June... she was a mess! The girl we bought her from said she bought her from a friend who was selling her to pay for her other horse's vet bills and that she was allegedly from a rescue before that.

One month in, looking much better already (had some scratches from scuffles with her new herd):
View attachment 1109850

She's almost fearless when it comes to seeing new sights and obstacles, but we discovered that "green" meant "barely knew left from right but you can sit on her safely!" She will saddle up fine, walk on tarps all day, lead anywhere with you, but she did not know steering, stopping, or backing up. After a few minor incidents we decided to just restart from square one on her training.

Now she is gorgeous, lovely, clever, full of personality and not afraid to show it! She has been on winter break from training but before it got too cold to work, she was making lovely progress. She leads the group on trail rides and when she carries herself well, has a lovely floating trot and a smooth canter. View attachment 1109852 View attachment 1109851

PS.. Any guesses on what breed she is would be welcome. She was listed as a quarter pony but she is fine boned and has a pretty slender head, yet also has a short and thick neck.
Is she a dunskin? I love her mane frosting(white hair on black)! She is a beauty!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is she a dunskin? I love her mane frosting(white hair on black)! She is a beauty!!
We're actually not quite sure! She's gold in the summer and pale in the winter and almost seems to develop very subtle primitive markings only in her winter coat. There's a very faint dorsal stripe and the mane frosting becomes most prominent in her winter coat. It's probably just a very poor expression of nd1. Thank you!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts