The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I want to see them. Ok, not just them, I want to see how you organize your manure forks, shovels, etc. in your barn. Particularly if you don't have a lot of space. I used to have mine all hung up neatly along a wall, then I finished a third stall and lost that wall, now they're just kind of piled up in a corner, and it's driving me crazy. I need ideas to organize them, but I am very limited in terms of space. I don't want to put them in the tack room because they'll never get put away, realistically.

Go.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I too have limited space, I will try to take a photo. There is a squeezy space for a muck cart next to the loft stairs, and there I have a row of mucking tools hung on the wall -- one fork, one snow shovel (ideal for shoveling up wet spots of shavings off stall mats), and in the back harder to reach is a hay fork that I never use, and a square edged garden spade I use for chipping frozen turds out of ice, and freeing up frozen gates.

Then in the third stall, which has been divided in half, the back half for the goats' night stall, I have a little rack with two brooms, a dustpan and whisk, and a (clean) extra muck fork. There's no wall space in the tack room for those, and I store my baled shavings and extra buckets etc. there as well. It took some little time to figure all this out. I'm still re-arranging the tackroom continually.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I've got my favorite manure fork (big basket!), 1 snow shovel & 1 straw broom hung where I park the wheelbarrow, because those are my most used items. All other shovels, the big push broom, spare t-posts, random bits of rebar & pvc pipe get slipped into a pallet mounted to the wall beside the main barn door.

You can shove a single hook/hanger on any 12" wide wall space you can find- your tools don't all have to be grouped together, they just need to be up and out of the way. I actually like being able to reach for the nearest hanging item, rather than walking allll the way across the barn to a single storage spot, lol.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I have mine hung up in two walls in my feed room area - pretty standard looking stuff.

I was wondering if something like an old freestanding coat rack could be repurposed to hold forks? It wouldn’t take up much room and could be moved when necessary. Alternatively, if someone in your family is handy with wood working then a purpose built fork rack along the same idea could be made???

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hi AA, All

I use one of these. I got it years ago with an "ergo" Aluminum handle, and simply swap in a new head when I break a tine. It's lightweight, and does a good job. It lives in the muck cart, which in turn is either down by the poop pile, or parked just inside the paddock gate, depending on where I call it a day. I also keep one in the tackroom of the trailer, along with a big soft-plastic bucket for "the goods".
I also have a steel pitch fork, a square-point shovel, and a plastic scoop-style shovel that is mostly used for snow. I just broke that one a couple of weekends ago, and need to find another. There are nails to hang these in the barn, but mostly they are just standing in the corner behind the "human" door.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahahaha! @Hondo... no, I should have taken a picture of my 3 manure forks, two shovels, two brooms, two hay forks, and a rake just slowly dragging their way down in a corner of my barn. Everytime I need something, I need to move other things, and the floor under them never gets swept. Enough is enough! I moved the shovels to their own corner of the barn (metal round mouth for really hard frozen manure, square plastic for shoveling out a path to the manure pile in the winnter). I hung the wider broom but the smaller straw broom still lives with the manure forks (all three). The hay forks have been divided up - one is now with the hay, the other, which is actually for prying frozen manure balls, is with the shovels.

I still have three manure forks and a broom that just sit on the ground... hooks are fine, but I can't hang all those things on one hook. I'll take a photo in a bit so you see what I mean.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@george_the_mule yes, I buy the same ones. But darn it, those tines sure do break easily when it's -20C here. So we only have one that has all of its tines (you know you're a horse person when you get excited because you bought a new manure fork). I bought the metal heavy-duty pitchfork specifically to pry up the manure in the winter. The round mouth shovel is also used, especially when the manure is all stuck together.

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
10 -penny nails...
We all have walls...nail about 12" - 18" above your head so when you walk your skull is beneath the tines...
Hang with tines up, handle down...takes up less space and you can stagger utensils so you can hang more in less space...
With a long handle as each piece has you can hang higher, lower, higher...
All those hay strings make great loops for hanging things that otherwise don't have a drilled hole in the handle...drill a hole in the handle and hang what must be hung at shoulder height...
My water bucket scrubbing brush, small rake ....
My very large, very sharp hay hooks hang only in my feed room through the wall metal grids. I use livestock panels for my upper stall wall separations... Then there is a solid sheet of plywood behind here so when I stack hay 8 high no one is "snacking"...it protects curious noses from pokes too. :|
I no longer use the wheelbarrow often but my tractor bucket to clean stalls into...a muck basket with rope handles occasionally, that hangs outside my barn on the back wall, on a 10-penny nail. :cool:
My wheelbarrow stands up against the barn out of the way.
I put a brick under the nose of it so it not sit in mud or wet earth and rot the handle frame.
My husband screwed 2 screw-eyes into the barn side to tie rope behind the wheelbarrow up so it not fall and break something in a heavy wind.
That is about what we do for our utensils in the barn.
We do the same in the house garage to store shovels, rakes and tools...hang them up...
We don't discuss what is kept on the floor in the "found" space beneath. :icon_rolleyes:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Pitch fork ,broom and rake are hung up on wall. Wheelbarrow ,shovel , ladder bagged bedding are in extra stall.
The wheelbarrow was free on dirt road we ride. In good shape so I went back with pickup truck and got it. Have a rubbermade wheelbarrow also it's kept in hay barn.

Nothing fancy about my barn but it works and is well built. East door is big enough bobcat can get in there. One huge isle ,stalls on North side along with tack room/feed room. West door opens into a three sided shelter.

·
Administrator
36,132 Posts
My barn tools are hung off one of those garage organizer thingys you can buy from stores like Home Depot. I have one either side of an inner doorway, they don’t take up much space and the pooper scoopers also hang off them.
My manure fork, since you did ask about them! was given to me in the 1960s by my grt grandfather who was born in the late 1880’s.
My dad had a rubber handle fitted to it and I painted it green

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I just ordered a big basket fork today. I have shavings in the stalls and when I try to sift the manure from the shavings it all falls out of the little fork. I need a big one. That's the kind I use at work too, though I did grow up using the metal ones.

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the offending area I speak of - I did remove all the shovels and put them in a different area, put the pitchforks in the hay storage area, and hung up the large broom. I still have three manure forks and a straw broom. I'd like to hang them up so they're not on the floor (makes it impossible to sweep that corner), but I can't figure out how to hang three manure forks and a broom in such a small area. There really isn't anywhere else in the barn I can hang them and still keep them within reach. Thoughts?

My barn is a little filthy at the moment... should have at least swept before taking this pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not really any other walls to use. My aisles are wide and there are stalls on both sides. I don't want to put manure forks in the tack room. They also have to be out of reach of Rusty-the-clown who likes to play handyman with anything he can reach (I caught him swinging a hammer the other day - no word of a lie).

First pic shows ribbon wall, a rod to hold blankets (there are more in the tack room), and shovel corner. Second is the open concept run-in shared stall with my two pink noses photobombing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Hi AA

Hmmm. Well, I have several canoes stored in my garage on a pair of simple frames that are hung from the rafters. (They are very light solo boats.) The frame is just 2X4s bolted together like so: |_______|, with the upper ends bolted to the rafters, the width wide enough for the canoes, and the whole schmoo suspended as high as I could put it and still reach the end of the boats to slide them out and lift them down.
Perhaps you could cob something like this to hold your implements. Because of what I am storing, I didn't feel the need for a "bottom", but you might want to include a sheet of light plywood to reduce the chance of a pitchfork falling out and landing on your head.
Another thing you could build would be an array of 1 1/2 or 2 inch PVC tubing mounted into a base of plywood such that they stood upright and would accept the handle of your tools and hold them vertical. You might include casters so you could relocate the tool-stand for cleaning or whatever. I envision a box-like structure, with a solid bottom, open sides, and a top with holes cut in it to accept the PVC. Use an appropriate-sized hole-saw. Get some PVC caps and screw them to the bottom to locate and hold the tubing. Slide a length of tubing down thru the hole and fit it into the corresponding cap; you probably wouldn't even need to glue it. This would still take up floor space, but at least the tools would have a degree of organization. Make it heavy enough that the whole thing didn't tip over easily; just add weight to the bottom with some steel plate or whatever you have available of a similar nature; Vinyl floor tiles? Asphalt shingles? "ReadyMix" Cement? You get the idea.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts